Christie Don’t Need No GOP: NJ Gov Can Win In 2016 As Independent

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JamesL, May 28, 2013.

1. JamesL

JamesL

(by Joe Concha)

Like most who call New Jersey home, I’m a fan of our Governor.

It’s hard to believe Chris Christie—who is prominent on cable news once again this weekend thanks to his relentless PR campaign for the Jersey Shore to kick off its first summer since Sandy—wasn’t even supposed to win against then-Governor Jon Corzine just a few years ago. Remember, the Garden State is decidedly blue. President Obama carried it by 17 points in November (and yes, Dick Morris did mention once that New Jersey “may be in play” for Mitt Romney), and no Republican has won here since George Bush (41) carried it 25 years ago (and yes, 1988 was already 25 years ago…I’m going to go run in traffic on the Turnpike now).

But Christie did win, and given the fiscal mess Corzine left behind, a budget hawk was just what Jersey needed to regain not only its credit, but it’s pride as a state that is mostly seen as a punch line by the rest of the country.

The Governor’s candor is mostly described as bullying by the scant 29 percent who still don’t approve of the job he’s doing. But for the 71 percent who do approve, they realize an unfiltered, brutally honest person is the kind of leader who truly reflects what this state is: Tough, resilient, proud.

But when you hear conservatives talk about Christie on the national level, there’s that patently-ridiculous complaint that he embraced Mr. Obama a bit too much in the days after Sandy devastated the state (along with New York and especially Staten Island). Some say Christie even lost the election for Mitt Romney, which is a tough sell considering the President’s final margin of victory (106 electoral votes).

So despite the 52-year-old former state Attorney General cutting spending while creating jobs during a down economy—once seen as an impossible task—pundits from both sides of the aisle wonder if Christie can survive a Republican primary without support from those entrenched firmly on the right, including its media (See: Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin).

The CPAC snub earlier this year confirmed hard conservatives’ love affair with Christie is over. Maybe it was the Bromance with Barack. Maybe it was his convention keynote speech that basically ignored the guest of honor, Mitt Romney (Christie failed to mention the party nominee until the 16-minute mark). Maybe it’s his moderate stances on gun control and immigration.

“I’m a damn good Republican,” Christie told fellow Jerseyian Brian Williams recently.“ But that does not mean that I would ever put a party before my state or a party before my country.”

Interesting declaration…

And one that hints running as an independent against Hillary Clinton in 2016.

While money and the power of the Democratic party or Republican party used to be essential in having any shot at the Presidency, that may not be the case in 2016. Social media allows a candidate and his/her campaign to speak directly to the public. Obsessive 24/7 cable news coverage helps get the word out (in terms of message) on a minute-by-minute basis. As we already see with Christie, he’ll have no problem getting airtime.

And it won’t just be the same old polarized media story that we saw in 2012: President Obama wouldn’t go near Fox; Mitt Romney (and any top Republican) would have had to be held at gunpoint to appear on MSNBC. But Christie is different: He’s practically a sixth co-host of Morning Joe, having appeared on the show early and often since becoming Governor in 2010. To cover all the ideological basis, the Governor can also be found on CNN and Fox as well. Producers and hosts love him.

As execs say in the business, “He rates.”

Translation: When Christie is on, people invariably stop to hear what he has to say.

So if the Republican party refuses to accept him as its next nominee, it’s not like Christie will have to perform the etch-a-sketch high-wire act Mr. Romney did when earning the right to challenge President Obama last year.

more...

2. pspr

pspr

Christie should switch parties to Democrap and run against Hillary in the primary. It would be interesting to see Christie as the Dem nominee in a contest with the eventual GOP nominee.

Hell, Democraps are always trying to run as Republicans to try to blow up the party. Christie could probably do it to the Democraps. :D

3. I would really like to know why Romney didn't pick Christie as his VP nominee. I honestly think it was a decision that had major negative ramifications for both men. Perhaps the slot was offered and Christie declined. Who knows.

In any event, Romney blew a winnable election and Christie burned his bridges with the party rank and file. He no doubt is still popular with the same republican insiders who love Jeb Bush, but I think his chances of getting the nomination in 2016 are low.

I can't see a narcissist like Christie going independent. He knows he would lose, which would be too wounding. His best bet is probably going after Menendez' Senate seat. Menedez has a lot of baggage, even by Jersey standards, and Christie is riding a wave of popularity that likely will not last forever.

4. jem

jem

I think Christie can become President as a republican.
    He will be running against who Rubio... I doubt he is even eligible to be president per the constitution. Jindal?

Can Perry re create himself into a smart conservative Presidential type guy?

The job is wide open for a guy who says he will get rid of the IRS.
    Cain got big milieage from 999. No IRS is the winner.

It be like Reagan get rid of the 55mph limit but better.

5. Ricter

Ricter

"The job is wide open for a guy who says he will get rid of the IRS."

Lmao, yeah, you bet, that's gonna happen.

6. Max E.

Max E.

I like Christie to, hes the only one with the brains and the balls to take on government spending.

Cruz has both the brains and the balls too, but the media will make sure they bury cruz, they despise him more than romney.

7. jem

jem

I don't even know that I like him after he torpedoed Romney, but I think he can win... and I would vote from him of the women who refused to answer the phone at 3 am after perhaps arming terrorists.

8. jem

jem

ricter... you watch..

even the govt workers would vote for a 10 to 30 percent pay raise.

the vote would be about 47 pecent to 53 %.

as a few working people will still vote as the handout class but some of the handout class will vote for no personal taxes... realize the economy will expand rapidly and they can have jobs again.

It has the side benefit of robbing the IRS of their jackbooted turn the govt on us. (as they showed us they are willing to do.)

and it will bring up the idea of a capped budget.

so we can inflate into a balanced budget at worst.

9. Ricter

Ricter

No one in power or vying for power, left, right, or center is going to pursue an "end the IRS" goal, so it's never going to come to a vote.

10. jem

jem

If someone wants to get elected and break through the billion dollar ad buyer good old boy choices of the dems and the liberal republicans they will. Herman Cain showed them what a man with plan can do in this new internet age.

I am just providing them with the sound bite and the blue print it will take. They will still need to be smart in front of the camera (unlike perry was) and free of skeletons.

#10     May 28, 2013