christianity must change or die.

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Free Thinker, May 11, 2012.

1. jem

jem

What a crock.
    I submit those are human problems and the absence of the ideals which are the bedrock of Christianity lets a society degenerate.

Just look at what has happened since the 50s when "passive" Christian ideal have been taken out of the public square by the courts.

#11     May 11, 2012
  2. stu

stu

Religion IS a human problem.
    I would suggest if it was moral motives that moved you to follow a religion , then you already had moral motives. The religion was superfluous. If you cannot hold moral motives for their own sake, then the morality of your motives is in question first, and religion will add nothing to that.

#12     May 11, 2012
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

Maybe atheism should change.

#13     May 11, 2012
  4. Free thinker...maybe you should move to china.

In china almost nobody believes in God and they have population control. They dont adhere to things like the 10 commandments so maybe you would like it over there.

Of course, theft & corruption is rampant over there (because they have no set moral ground to stand on) You might get sick & die over there from eating food like "plastic rice" because in china...the only important thing is to make money, so if you can put cheap plastic that looks like rice in a bag and sell it as rice, go for it. If you can pay 5 year old kids 50 cents per day to make nike shoes, go for it. Money is god over there.

Their creed is greed,
    Their god is gold,
    They get all they can,
    Can all they get,
    Sit on the lid,
    and poison the rest.

#14     May 11, 2012
  5. Mav88

Mav88

dude, 1927.

Think about this, every secular nation in the west is also a Christian nation, or at least has been in the last 100 years. They could have stoned us all to death and didn't, instead they sat down with us and wrote a bill of rights.

I thank my lucky stars that I am living with western christians. I'll get pissed if they try prohibition again, but more of them have died in battle for your right to be an atheist than there are atheists in my state. Muslims and communists both actively want to control you right now, don't you think that's more urgent?

#15     May 11, 2012
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

Very well said.

#16     May 11, 2012
  7. no thank you. christianity is growing in china mostly because they are still uneducated in the rural areas. christianity is dying in america, why leave when we are just beginning to win the battle for minds.

#17     May 11, 2012
  8. actually i would fear what religion does to the minds of americans more than what muslims or communists would do.

look at the damage one crazy religious president did to the usa:

But Powell supports the increasingly well-documented conclusion that there was actually no decision-making point -- or decision-making process --
    Former CIA Director George Tenet made an admission similar to Powell’s in his own 2007 memoir. "There was never a serious debate that I know of within the administration about the imminence of the Iraqi threat," he wrote. Nor "was there ever a significant discussion" about the possibility of containing Iraq without an invasion.

Indeed, history shows that Bush had long wanted to strike out at Saddam Hussein and was trying to link Iraq to 9/11 within a day of the terrorist attacks.

The war, which President Barack Obama officially brought to an end Dec. 31, cost the U.S. government around $3 trilllion, left 4,487 U.S. servicemembers dead and killed more than 100,000 Iraqis. The Pentagon counts 32,226 U.S. servicemembers wounded, but the toll, including cumulative psychological and physiological damage, may be as high as half a million.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    then this:
    President George W Bush told Palestinian ministers that God had told him to invade Afghanistan and Iraq - and create a Palestinian State, a new BBC series reveals.
    Palestinian Prime Minister, and Nabil Shaath, his Foreign Minister, describe their first meeting with President Bush in June 2003.

Nabil Shaath says: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, "George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan." And I did, and then God would tell me, "George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq ." And I did. And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, "Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East." And by God I'm gonna do it.'"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/10_october/06/bush.shtml

We Have A Responsibility…as unbelievers, we have a responsibility to the future of our species to do whatever we can to disseminate the science and eliminate the myth.

#18     May 11, 2012
  9. Nothing wrong embracing life as a "freethinker" but Imo, in the end - freethinking might bring you understanding and to be more understanding but in the grand scheme of things, customs, privileges, or beliefs and prejuidices is what makes us human, unique, diverse, and trying to change that is not realistic.

Not sure what Tolstoy was trying to accomplish. a multiculutral society, peace and harmony good will toward men? You can achieve that without free thinking, just follow the ten commandments.

#19     May 11, 2012
  10. Christianity first entered china in 635 AD (thats almost 1,000 years before it came to north america.) Yeah, its growing pretty fast, but then again, they had a 1,000 year head start! Who knows...in 50,000 years the whole country might be christians,so yeah...thats right around the corner! So why didnt christianity florish when it first came to china 1400 years ago? Was it because the chinese were soooo educated back then? Maybe they had a chinese darwin back then that let all the peasants of that day know that we all evolved over millions of years. (note the sarcasm)

The truth is Christianity is illegal in china. The only churches permitted are those with government-paid pastors who deliver government-approved sermons. Children under 18 are not allowed to attend church. Come on...its an atheists wet dream to live in a place like that. You should go. Need me to send you a plane ticket? :p

#20     May 11, 2012