christianity must change or die.

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Free Thinker, May 11, 2012.

1. young people just are not going to buy the line of bull the churches are selling:

With People Flocking Away from Church, Marion Pastor 'Apologizes,' Blogs
    Kevin Jones, the Marion pastor of the Lutheran Church of the Resurrection, spoke with me about his continued effort to approach the old ideas of church in a new way. "It drives me crazy," he said.

The pastor of the Lutheran Church of The Resurrection has been watching as attendance at Lutheran churches has dropped 6 percent in the last 10 years and has seen his congregation’s population stagnate, while living in a growing community.

After reading countless articles and blog posts on why many are leaving the church, he’s written a nine-part blog series, "apologizing" for people leaving the church and what he considers his part in it. He's refocused his efforts on the church to provide a new direction, but it’s unclear and too soon to tell if anything is gong to stick

"That’s frustrating," he said. "To stand up in front of a congregation and say I have to change, we have to change, but I don’t know what we are changing to."

http://marion.patch.com/articles/ma...the-ills-of-the-church-and-why-many-have-left

2. He and his flock should '' change and move forward ''

3. Mav88

Mav88

why do you fight these useless battles? liberals are having the west bend over so that muslims can do us in the rear and you want to wage the war of the 17th century, I just don't get people like you

4. oh. juvenile catchy words like "bend over" and "in the rear". i am having visions of the catholic church.
    you are excused about not getting it. you do have a some intellectual curiousity to "get it".

Intellectual honesty is a skill that has to be learned and a virtue that has to be practiced; it often requires you to accept unpleasant conclusions. (John B. Hodges)

5. Mav88

Mav88

you are obsessed with some imaginary and irrelevant political battle, are you some sex starved loser or something? I notice you can't answer the question so I assume it's a personal issue

6. Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless. (Leo Tolstoy)

7. Mav88

Mav88

what clash? there is a difference between freethinking for its own sake (mental masterbation) and actually trying to be a creative thinker with the pressing issues of today

8. Ricter

Ricter

Does the history of Christianity indicate any change?

9. Mav88

Mav88

it does and lots of it, but after the creation of the Bill of Rights secularism has ruled the west

I used to debate long and hard when I lost my religion, but after that, what's the point? Is free thinker in process or something? He quotes Tolstoy on the inner clash, so all this Christian bashing may be some sort of personal struggle with ambivalence about the whole thing.

I just find odd and annoying that when there is a real threat right in front of us he wants to relive the 1600s.

10. most of the problems we face today has its roots in religion. racism,denial of science,political gridlock,population control problems, abortion, ten year long wars ect all have at their basis religious intolerance.
    i submit if we educated religious superstition out of the people many problems could be solved.

You find as you look around the world that every single bit of progress in humane feeling, every improvement in the criminal law, every step toward the diminution of war, every step toward better treatment of the colored races, or every mitigation of slavery, every moral progress that there has been in the world, has been consistently opposed by the organized churches of the world. I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world.”
    — Bertrand Russell, Why I am Not a Christian, 1927

#10     May 11, 2012