christian preacher. non christian shooting victims are now burning in hell.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Brass

Brass

The fascinating part is that you're neither nauseated or embarrassed by it. I suppose it will take another generation or two in your family. Whatever the current trend, the overriding drift is one towards atheism. Slowly, but surely.

#11     Jul 23, 2012
  2. jem

jem

Why would I replace faith in a Creator with faith in random chance? Just when science is telling us that there is zero proof we evolved from non life by random chance and that our universe appears fine tuned?

If you were to say we are drifting towards agnosticism, I might agree with you. We do seem to be drifting towards that a little bit at a time.

#12     Jul 23, 2012
  3. Brass

Brass

For all intents and purposes, an "agnostic" is a polite atheist.

#13     Jul 23, 2012
  4. jem

jem

baloney.

saying there is no creator is irrational.

#14     Jul 23, 2012
  5. Mercor

Mercor

Correction: We have kicked God out of minds.
    No more does society have a positive energy to help focus our direction, for the common good.

#15     Jul 23, 2012
  6. Not that it really matters, but since they were not Christians, we have a better Country. More blood has been spilled throughout history from religion than any other source.

There are a million quotes, but here a few that popped up in a quick search. And, look, I don’t slight anyone for their religious beliefs, it’s just that it doesn’t belong in America… we rebelled, in part, for freedom of and from religion.

But, to the lack of Christianity among the founding fathers:

“Our founding fathers were not Christians” - http://freethought.mbdojo.com/foundingfathers.html

" The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity." - John Adams

Lest we forget some of the things the Founding Fathers actually said:

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches." - Benjamin Franklin

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government." - Thomas Jefferson

"In no instance have . . . the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people." - James Madison

#16     Jul 23, 2012
  7. out of site out of mind. if god cared couldnt he come up with a way of getting us thinking about him? like maybe showing himself?
    makes no sense if a god exists. makes perfect senses if no god exists. what should be the logical conclusion?

#17     Jul 23, 2012
  8. Is saying there is no committee of creators with many mid and lower levels of creators irrational also?

#18     Jul 23, 2012
  9. jem

jem

Your question is a cheap rhetorical device. Just used by Stu on another thread.

Logically it follows that in absence of another explanation a creation would have a creator. In fact it seems absurd to act like saying we just got here by random chance is a better explanation than creator.

It is a cheap trick to then turn the idea of creator into a specific concept or person and then discount it.

--

But again none of what you wrote... changes the fact that saying your know there is no creator is irrational.

#19     Jul 23, 2012
  10. so every time we encounter a problem we dont know the answer to we should just default to "god did it" until proven otherwise?

#20     Jul 23, 2012