Chris Matthews: It's Unconstitutional For Romney To Challenge The President

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Oct 20, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

If you didn't think Matthews was an idiot before, you will after reading this.

This week, MSNBC “star” Chris Matthews made the following statement, clearly speaking out of frustration as he watched President Obama wilt under the scrutiny of the second presidential debates where he was challenged repeatedly by Republican Mitt Romney.

“I don’t think he understands the Constitution of the United States…He’s the president of the United States. You don’t say, ‘you’ll get your chance.’”

Chris Matthews was angry with Romney challenging the president on his record during the course of an election to unseat him.

Imagine that.

Matthews should be angry about the president’s poor performance not with Romney’s tenaciousness in seeking the truth.

But here's the truth, that Matthews hasn't seemed to have learned: the respect you give is the respect you get. If the president wants respect than he better stop acting like a potentate and more like a president of the United States. Romney gave the president the respect he deserved at the debates and during the course of the election.

You would think Matthews would know what is in the Constitution and what is not.

Nowhere in the Constitution does it set forth that a president of the United States is above the people and cannot and should not be challenged. Is that not what a presidential election is all about – challenging an incumbent president on his record?

The Founding Fathers specifically limited the powers of the president and did not exempt a president from abiding by the laws of the land in the same manner and to the same extent as the average citizen.

America was founded because of our dissatisfaction with a monarchy run by kings and queens who were above the people. The problem is that Matthews thinks that not only he is above the people but President Obama should be as well.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012...-for-romney-to-challenge-obama/#ixzz29r4RkjsH

2. Matthews is clearly a buffoon, but he did see the same thing that I saw, namely that Romney managed to severely erode Obama's stature. Romney was clearly the alpha male on that platform. Obama had to be protected by the moderator.

3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Perhaps, but I know I found that insulting - when Romney said "You'll get your chance". It's the way he said it that turned me off. I despise Obama, but I respect the office of the President.

4. pspr

pspr

There is no point in having respect for the office when the office holder has no respect for the office or the nation.

5. LEAPup

LEAPup

Matthews needs to pull his bottom lip over his head and swallow. What a horse ass!

6. lol . . . Romney, an alpha male, who sits behind his wife on a jet ski, with his nice Sunday clothes on.

7. Here is what is REALLY being said, " 'the big O' is a god - you may not oppose 'our god'. "

Hard core conservatives and libertarians opposed Bush's policies that went against the law of the land - the Patriot Act, etc.

Hard core liberals/communists cannot or will not oppose "the big O."

-g

8. gtor514

gtor514

IMHO, when Obama, or any other sitting president is on the stage of a debate during an election he must lower himself from the office of the presidency to another low life, POS politician who must answer for his past performance and beg like a dog for votes of the american people. He deserves no respect other than to be referred to as "Mr. President". If he can't handle that then he shouldn't run for re-election.

9. Sometimes you strike me as a bit softheaded .
    That's complete non-sense vis-a-vis the debate.

He's not functioning as the office of the Presidency (during the debate), he's merely a candidate vying for people's vote. So it's impossible to be denigrating the office of the Presidency in this situation.

Just because obama holds the office of the President he's not "SUPPOSED " to get any advantageous perks during the debate as a result.

10. I have to agree, not as an Obama supporter, but as an American. Back when Bush was President and I saw him getting booed and things thrown at him by people in Europe and other places, it made my blood boil. I may disagree with policies, but I respect the office.

#10     Oct 20, 2012