Chris Dodd & Bill Richardson: Health Care for Illegal Aliens

Discussion in 'Politics' started by LT701, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Spot On.

#11     Jul 24, 2007
  2. LMAO

#12     Jul 24, 2007
  3. I must disagree. Many of the illegal aliens in the emergency room are there due to work related injuries, and others due to pregancies, no amount of preventative care would alleviate such medical issues. ANd even if it is just basic health care, some America has to pay for it.

Having free health care only makes America more of a shit magnet than it already is. With current open borders and free health care America is now an emergency room and nursing home for the entire world, and perhaps the world's septic tank. I don't see millions flocking to any other nation for there free health care.

#13     Jul 24, 2007
  4. OK, so please explain to me, where do you actually disagree with what I actually wrote?

Martin

#14     Jul 25, 2007
  5. Well, you wrote that a solution to having illegal aliens bankrupt our hospitals by using the least effective most expensive emergency rooms is to provide free, basic public health coverage to illegal immigrants.

I disagree with this, because in my opinion and based on the fact that about 10,000 illegals enter the US every night, for every illegal alien you give free basic public health coverage to right now, there will be many, many more ready to use the least effective most expensive emergency rooms tomorrow. I don't think the government would be able to give away free basic public health coverage fast enough.

But, even if such an idea worked, I'd still be opposed to it on the grounds that people who break the law (illegal aliens) should not be given free health care AT THE EXPENSE OF THE TAX PAYER all while the industries that import the illegal aliens and exploit their cheap labor and gouge us taxpayers for their health care, their welfare and retirement, and at the market for their products.

#15     Jul 25, 2007
  6. Thanks for the clarification. First of all, I did write:

"I'm not saying free health care for illegal immigrants, or single payer health care for that matter, are necessarily good solutions. This is a hard problem and any approach has moral hazards and creates incentives for wasteful behavior."

So I still don't think you've actually disagreed with me.

However there are some points where I disagree with you.

1) If free basic public health is cost effective (i.e. we save more in the emergency room than we pay in the clinic) then it doesn't matter how many illegals come or go, we're still saving money on every single one.

2) You seem to think that health care is a major incentive for illegal immigration but I don't think the facts support that. Mexicans, for example, come here for jobs; they can get more cost effective health care in Mexico. Mexico has a universal health care program already. If illegals could get across the border easily enough, they'd be crossing the other way to get their health care.

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-womexi164935437oct16,0,6421326.story?coll=ny-health-print

3) I know it's emotionally unsatisfying for taxpayers to pay for health care for noncitizens, but we do that already with emergency rooms. You are assuming that preventative care will cost more, whereas my whole point is that it is likely to be cheaper.

Martin

#16     Jul 25, 2007
  7. LT701

LT701

the problem with your position, is that it is a 'quasi/defacto' amnesty

do you have any concept of the cost of appeasing an invader???

strictly speaking, the only think they're entitled to is a humane deportation

that and nothing else

any extention of benefits beyond what they have is a legitimization of the crime they committed when they came here

they marched in the streets this year, and they tried to get an amnesty shoved down our throats

the only thing I support is ENFORCEMENT OF EXISTING LAW, PERIOD!!!!!

anyone who thinks there is any end to their demands (once concessions are made) is on the dope these people smuggled in here

#17     Jul 25, 2007
  8. OK, all they are <i>entitled</i> to is humane deportation. Strictly speaking, I agree.

But, in the real world, absolute attitudes like yours just don't work. Not because they are wrong, but because they are impractical.

Let's say you're in charge of US health care policy. Your policy is no health care for illegals. A Mexican lady 9 months pregnant shows up in an emergency room, no insurance, no green card. She hasn't had any prenatal care so there are complications. Do you:

a) Allow her & her baby to die on the waiting room floor
    b) Admit her and provide life giving care

I don't think this country has the stomach for option A as a matter of national policy. I don't have the stomach for it, and I hope you don't either.

If you accept that we must provide emergency life sustaining care for everyone, I think it's undisputed that there is some level of free public health care which actually saves us money, by treating problems before they become acute. It might be a quite low level, rudimentary prenatal care, antibiotics, basic immunizations, etc. A lot of this stuff is already available for free, as it happens.

But your policy is nothing but deportation for illegals. That means we actually pay more caring for them in the emergency room, just because of your blinkered, stubborn insistence on nothing that could in your wildest flights of fancy be misinterpreted as "amnesty," whatever that means. It also, incidentally, causes a great deal of suffering, but it's only criminals who are suffering so of course we don't care.

In case you haven't noticed, I think that's just stupid.

Martin

#18     Jul 25, 2007
  9. LT701

LT701

I said previous to your post "any extention of benefits beyond what they have is a legitimization of the crime they committed when they came here
    "

where do you get 'allow baby to die on waiting room floor' from that?!?!?!?!

this is an INVASION

were they to be amnestied, which is exactly what they are DEMANDING, they would have six times the political power of my state, and I would have to obey the laws they make

every increase of benefit, gives them power - they already have WAY WAY more power than any sane country would have given them

the concept of sovereignty is clearly over your head

also, what's (Mexico's) Carlos Slim's role in all of this, now that he's the richest man in the world?

What benefits will he confer to me, if I break into his club 'for a better life'? If we are now a North American commonwealth, how much of his wealth does he plan to share with me?

"Sorry Senior, it is a one way street" he would tell me

Why am I more responsible for his people, than he is?

He is arbitraging the difference in social benefits between the countries, exporting his poor, which keeps his taxes low. Then his phone system monopoly profits from the phone calls home and money wired back

The American middle class subsidizes the richest man in the world, who lives in Mexico

#19     Jul 25, 2007
  10. pattersb

pattersb Guest

I don't see in your plan where illegals stop going to emergency rooms after a universal healthcare plan is enacted , a plan which you insist will not be available to them.

What am I missing?

Basically, it's a massive wealth redistribution scheme. At the end of the day, those that actually do pay income taxes will end up paying more in income taxes to fund universal healthcare to non-tax payers, and likely an additional premium for a private plan that actually provides decent healthcare.

Funny, suddenly Warren Buffet's secretary springs to mind ...

The Democrats literally want to fire millions of american workers, and replaced them with bureaucrats.

#20     Jul 25, 2007