Chris Christie voluntarily accepts Obamacare medicare expansion

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Feb 27, 2013.

1. http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/02/christies_medicaid_decision_dra.html

Christie's Medicaid decision draws praise across N.J.

TRENTON — Democratic lawmakers and advocacy groups praised Gov. Chris Christie’s decision to expand the state’s Medicaid program to cover tens of thousands of uninsured New Jerseyans on Tuesday, calling it a compassionate move that would help the state economy.

Although Christie emphasized he is "no fan of the Affordable Care Act," he said the move was "the smart thing to do for our fiscal and public health."

The decision by Christie — one of the better-known Republican governors to accept the program — is expected to save the state $227 million a year by enrolling 104,000 low-income people into the government health care program, beginning in January, he said.

"Accepting these federal resources will provide health insurance to tens of thousands of low-income New Jerseyans, help keep our hospitals financially healthy and actually save New Jersey taxpayers money," Christie said in his annual budget address in Trenton.

New Jersey stands to reap far more — $15 billion in reimbursements over the next nine years if all 300,000 low-income residents eligible for the program enroll — said Ray Castro, a senior analyst for New Jersey Policy Perspective, a liberal research organization that urged the governor to embrace the expansion.

"Despite opposition to the expansion from conservative factions of the national Republican party, Gov. Christie — much like he did in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy — has demonstrated the leadership and independence of a governor who is willing to place the interests of New Jerseyans above partisan politics," Castro said.

The state needs to embark on a recruitment and marketing campaign, he said, some of which the federal government will pay for, because "a lot of people who are eligible don’t even know it’s available."

In announcing his plans, Christie said the expansion targets very-low-income adults who have never qualified for Medicaid because they are childless.

"These people are consistently among those who need help the most — men and women who have suffered trauma in their lives, live with mental illness, rely on New Jersey’s emergency rooms for primary health care needs, or those citizens who lack insurance or access to treatment," he said.

2. Good job Governor Christie.Working together to improve America is the right thing to do.

[​IMG]

3. pspr

pspr

Are we going to see a new post for every Republican governor who comes to the realization that they should take the 100% funding from the federal government to expand Medicaid for now?

LOL. Carry on.

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

I not sure how bankrupting America even faster than before is "improving America".

5. When I'm starting more threads then you I'll stop

6. Well, our side is kicking the shit out of their side, so they come here to vent. We don't have that issue.:)

7. You will never stop. The quantity of tripe from pisspoor is insurmountable. He really should be banned for spamming.

8. pspr

pspr

Why are you such a stupid person?

9. pspr

pspr

I'm glad you see yourself as being on a "Side" instead of being for America. How do you people live with yourselves? I guess stupidity helps a lot.

10. there have always been side in America.

Loyalists vs. Independence.

Abolitionists vs. Slavers.

Jim Crow vs. Desegregation.

Conservatives vs. Liberals.

So, as I said before, our side is mopping the floor with your side, and our America will prevail.

:) :cool:

#10     Feb 28, 2013