Chris Christie calls for the resignation of the Head of NJ Teachers union.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Max E., Feb 10, 2012.

1. Max E.

Max E.

This pretty much sums up how the teachers union feels about students. When the head of the teachers union was asked about whether or not parents of students should get vouchers, so that they can attend any school they want instead of being forced to attend the shit schools that the teachers union has produced, The head of the teachers union responds saying he doesnt want that, and that they can attend private schools, when asked what to do about poor students who can not afford to go to private school, the head of the teachers union comes back and says "Life isnt fair"

Funny how when the teachers union is looking for pay raises and laying off teachers in a choice to hold onto their pay raises, then its supposedly all about the children.....

These people are cockroaches, they are by far the sleaziest union we have in America.

Start of the video is the head of the teachers unions comments, and Christie comes in at the 2 minute mark.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p4lVNQZkstk?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p4lVNQZkstk?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

RENTON — Gov. Chris Christie and the executive director of the state’s largest teachers union today called on each other to resign, in an escalation of a nasty feud between the Republican governor and the New Jersey Education Association.

The volley began when Christie lashed out at the union official, Vincent Giordano, for a comment he made on the NJTV program "New Jersey Capital Report" on Sunday about school vouchers, which would provide students public money to attend private schools.

Commenting about how the poor can’t always attend private and charter schools, Giordano said, "Life’s not always fair and I’m sorry about that."

Earlier in the conversation, he had said poor parents should have access to the same options as those who can afford to send their children to high-performing schools: "We don’t say you can’t take your kid out of the public school. We would argue not and we would say, ‘Let’s work more closely and more harmoniously.’&#8197;"
    But Christie called Giordano’s comment outrageous and said if Giordano didn’t resign, Barbara Keshishian, president of the education association, should fire him.

"I cannot express how disgusted I am by that statement by the head of the largest teachers union in our state," he said at a press conference in Westfield, "but I also have to tell you I’m not the least bit surprised because I think it so succinctly captures what their real position is."

Then the governor took a personal swipe: "As Vince drives out of the palace on State Street in his big luxury car and his $500,000 salary. I’m sure life’s really fair for him, and if Vince’s kids were in a failing school district he could afford to send them to any school in New Jersey that could help them succeed."

And not long afterward, the former Republican governor of Florida, Jeb Bush, tweeted his support for Christie. Last week, Bush gave a talk in Morris County echoing Christie’s education reforms.
    Joining the verbal free-for-all, the Communication Workers of America, the largest state workers union, then struck back at Christie for criticizing Giordano so harshly.

Gov. Christie calls for resignation of NJEA's Vincent Giordano
    Gov. Chris Christie in a press conference in Westfield today called for the resignation of Vincent Giordano, the executive director of the New Jersey Education Association, for saying in a Sunday appearance on NJTV that "life's not always fair" when asked to weigh in on the vouchers debate. NJEA spokesman Steve Wollmer later dismissed the governor's outrage as an "obvious political attack." (Video by John Munson / The Star-Ledger)
    Watch video

"Where was Governor Christie’s anger when his friend Mitt Romney said he does not care about poor people?" Bob Master said of a comment made last week by the Republican presidential candidate whom Christie has endorsed. "The governor seems to be suffering from a case of selective outrage, and — surprise, surprise — it is hard-working public employees that have made him mad again."

Hours later, Giordano fired back and called for Christie to resign.
    "If he thinks he’s going to bully me like he bullies everyone else," he said, "he doesn’t understand who am, or how deeply I care about the work I do."

And a spokesman for the education association, Steve Wollmer, dismissed the governor’s outrage as an "obvious political attack."
    "The governor is doing everything he can do demonize us in the discussion over vouchers," he said. "The governor and his allies are seizing on one phrase, which Mr. Giordano has said is open to misinterpretation."

The governor and the education association came together briefly last month in their support for the Urban Hope Act, which gives private nonprofit groups the authority to build a total of 12 schools in Newark, Camden and Trenton.

Christie has also been urging lawmakers to take up a bill that would provide students with vouchers to attend private and parochial schools.

2. JamesL

JamesL

Just pray for him to die. Return the gesture.

3. Thanks for posting the vid.

Sort of restores faith in politicians to at least hear them say something like this out loud.

PC has buried the voice of dialogue and reason.

4. Ricter

Ricter

"Public school teachers are very well educated, split roughly evenly between those with bachelor’s degrees and those with graduate degrees (49 percent have a bachelor’s degree, and 45 percent have at least a master’s degree). They are much better educated than private-sector workers with large employers. For example, among private-sector workers working for firms with 1,000 or more employees, only 21 percent have a bachelor’s degree, and just 9 percent have at least a master’s degree (EPI analysis of 2003–2010 IPUMS CPS data [King et al. 2010]).1

"How Richwine and Biggs get to 52 percent

Despite these differences in educational attainment, Richwine and Biggs acknowledge at the outset that National Compensation Survey data show that the relative importance of benefits for teachers and private-sector workers in large establishments is nearly identical, amounting to roughly 41 percent of wages (or 29 percent of total compensation). However, after making various adjustments, Richwine and Biggs estimate that the value of teachers’ benefits is actually more than double the NCS estimate, or equal to 100.8 percent of wages (they also make a much smaller revision to the estimate for private-sector workers). As shown in Table 1, this is achieved by almost tripling retirement costs; by adding a benefit missing from the Bureau of Labor Statistics data (retiree health care); and by adding a benefit they call “work-year leave” that is already factored into wage measures."

Full article:
    http://www.epi.org/publication/ib324-public-school-teacher-benefits/

5. Teachers are very well TRAINED. College is to TRAIN you for a discipline, they provide education, but that is optional. Education is something that you must do on your own, and I have met many well trained people who cannot tell you who their Congressman is, or how members of Congress there are, or be able to explain the banking system, or how our economy is run, or why.

If a person cannot do at least this, then they are uneducated, even if they are trained to be an astronaut.