Choppy versus Trending

Discussion in 'Trading' started by abattia, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Wonderful!

Thanks!

#11     Dec 1, 2009
  2. Here is how I predict a trending day

(1). First day of week.
    (2). Gap larger than 7 S&P points
    (3). The day or after big numbers
    (4). Break of either side of NR72 day
    (5). The day after earnings release for individual stocks

#12     Dec 1, 2009
  3. Thanks TradeCharts (and thanks Fleming Snopes and paysense, earlier)

#13     Dec 1, 2009
  4. Attached is a brief read for you.

Unfortunately, What you do and what I do do not overlap. I never suggest that a person change paradigms. As a person learns to trade he makes decisions and acquires beliefs. This is a natural process and the decisions come from where the person is.

Making money is important to support a life style. It is usually not possible for a person to change life styles or his set of first recourses from his long term memory as he senses things.

Elsewhere I commented on a person who made a judgment that led him to another of his off base conclusions. The trend and chop is firmly embedded in CW type thinking. You have it in your long term memory and you are adding what you can to reinforce the path you are on. This is what most people do.

The whole financial industry uses the CW to do what they do. In my comments elsewhere, I acknowledged that it is normal to continue to use this built long term memory as a basis for judgment, conclusions and further learning. The consequence is evident and well documented all over the place.

To elect to become immune to this convention financially, it just not within reason for most people. They get the consequences of their decisions and feel very fortunate and emotionally situated.

If a person is learning and wanting to trade successfully, he should check out his emotions occassionally. You can "read" a person's emotions in their posting.

Obviously, what I posted and attached is a rant, for example..... lol...

#14     Dec 1, 2009
  5. Honestly it will be hard for someone to explain chop or trend thru words.. They will have to show you thru pictures.. For starters.. start looking at the larger time frames and you will be amaze..

#15     Dec 1, 2009
  6. I didn't find any chop today; I only found trending.

#16     Dec 1, 2009
  7. I enjoyed reading the attachment comparing "CW (Conventional Wisdom) Thinking" with "Non CW Thinking". Thanks.

Quote from jack hershey: ... In summary for NON CW, as any trader monitors, he has the ability, if he chooses to acquire the ability, to continually know that he knows. At any time, the trader can drill down to a given fractal level where he can observe the deduced single pattern and its progress to completion...

"... to know that he knows..."

The main question I have with this (if I have understood it correctly) is that the trader can only recognise each fractal pattern accurately during the formation of a bar if he has had the chance to see that same pattern at least once before (and that's assuming he has a perfect memory... A tall order, for most of us!).

And, again unless I have misunderstood, although there may only be a finite number relationships of two completed bars, the approach seems to focus on the sequence in which the last bar is formed, and I am not comfortable that there are only a finite number of sequences ...

#17     Dec 1, 2009
  8. Fair enough!

#18     Dec 1, 2009
  9. The market was a little uncertain in terms of smart money traders at two times (before 8:00 and before 9:00). If you monitor those times from a specific viewpoint, you can "see" what "news" and a "lateral" looks like to smart money traders.

Attached is the smart money trading (sentiment) for the day. smart money doesn't see chop as defined in your thread) either.

#19     Dec 1, 2009
  10. Quote from jack hershey: The market was a little uncertain in terms of smart money traders at two times (before 8:00 and before 9:00).

Time zone?
    US Mountain Time?

#20     Dec 1, 2009