Choppy Market? "Everyone is already stopped out and it's not even 8am."

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Scataphagos, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Futures Suddenly Explode Higher On Chinese Conciliatory Headline

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019...-explode-higher-chinese-conciliatory-headline

Saw this on Zero Hedge.

:)

Was watching this a bit since last night. Whippy, sloppy. Trump says something. Xi says something. MS comes out with a "75 basis point cut" forecast. Market jerks back and forth in response to every word. Too wild for my money. Hopefully this will settle down by tomorrow.

Market's chopping around in a range between 2818-2872. Most logical play is to fade the extremes. Everything between seems too messy.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. Overnight

Overnight

Did you see that action on Walmart's earnings? Geez, the YM shot up 200 points, NQ shot up 100 points in the blink of an eye! This seems like a bull market that is gasping for air, totally desperate for any scrap of good news. On it's last legs?

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. Or just not play today

kj5159 likes this.
  4. Old wisdom was of increased volatility before a major turn. Who knows in these days of algos??

I don't like fast action. I'm no good at catching it. (I need the fast action to catch me.) :)

comagnum and wiesman02 like this.
  5. kj5159

kj5159

With unemployment at ~3.7% I find it hard to believe the US economy is in dire straits.

MKTrader and nooby_mcnoob like this.
  6. dozu888

dozu888

this is why even I have laid out a clear path to financial freedom, so few can actually execute... people look at the left half of the chart and go - damn I shoulda BTFD.... but when a dip actually comes, it's sky is falling I am gonna stand on the side line and 'wait for some clarity' - one of the most stupid idea in investing.

MKTrader, _eug_ and trader99 like this.
  7. trader99

trader99

I bought the dip twice today and made money. I should have held longer before flipping it out. At the very extremes when people are indiscriminately selling right and left. It's not perfect timing. But I got my timing down to 2 bars from the bottom of the move. But 2 bars can still be a scary way down. Those extra two bars can go to hell and scary then reverts back and zoom up. LOL.

Maybe eventually I will get to 1 bar from the bottom. But the real money is made in holding for the full rebound. I hold for partial rebound then get out.

YM moves in hundreds of points so quickly. I should have been more patient.

8. guru

guru

Choppy is great for my TVIX trading bot.
    Sell,buy,buy,buy,sell,sell,sell,buy,sell,sell,buy...
    (it's usually shorting but trading long when needed to defend or improve its position)
    upload_2019-8-15_12-32-43.png

trader99 likes this.
  9. maxinger

maxinger

Market was not that choppy, not chaotic, not jerky at all. Market was considered as one of most trendy , easy to trade days.
    There were tons of trading opportunities on 15 Aug.
    There were lots of continuation and reversal signals.

trader99 and CALLumbus like this.
  10. Turveyd

Turveyd

I woke up, looked too slow with DAX, 30mins later checked missed great easy moves, about to trade then 100pt move in seconds and thought too rich for my blood, made 1 trade and left it at that.

NQ too many spikes, my tight SL's would just keep getting hit for no reason and coded them so can't back them off, wasn't at the PC to disable/modify.

#10     Aug 15, 2019
    trader99 likes this.