Chop vs. Trend

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Yag, May 1, 2005.

1. Well, I don't know about other people, but I prefer not to have to guess if, or for how long, a price move will continue. That is why I use "quasi-predetermined" :)D ) scaled exits. It's either that or eye of newt. :D

#61     Jun 13, 2005
  2. gnome

gnome

Unfortunately, there is more "eye of newt" to trading than most of us care to admit.

#62     Jun 13, 2005
  3. Certainly the more confidence that people develop in their trading beyond merely careful, cautious optimism is a result of the "eye of newt" factor in one form or another. That's my opinion.

As an aside, that's a rather interesting name you have in view of the topic of discussion.

#63     Jun 13, 2005
  4. gnome

gnome

I use the name "gnome" in the sense of the subterranian dwarf in folklore who guards the treasure....

#64     Jun 13, 2005
  5. Sorry, just having some fun here. Obviously, with our reference to "eye of newt," we are implying an element of witchcraft and sorcery (wizardry?) in connection with some trading methods and their perceived performance reliability. Since a gnome is a mythical creature...oh, never mind.

In any event, I assure you that there was no offense intended, particularly since we are essentially in agreement here.

#65     Jun 13, 2005
  6. Oh, the literal definition, eh? You trade from your basement?
    :D

#66     Jun 13, 2005
  7. gnome

gnome

Well, yes. BUT THAT'S A COINCIDENCE!

#67     Jun 13, 2005
  8. ssrrkk

ssrrkk

thanks. I'll give it a try anyway. My goal isn't to forecast the timeseries. Rather, I am just looking for a small but real statistical advantage within a short time window. anyway, I have used numerical recipes quite a lot before. I'm still trying to get used to developing in this non-scientific windows environment -- I find myself having to spend a lot of time on stupid winapi/MFC issues rather than the numerical algorithms themselves....

#68     Jun 13, 2005
  9. ssrrkk

ssrrkk

oh one more thing. are you saying that all patterns in the stock market are not real? if you admit that there are good (human) traders out there, then that must mean there are some real trends that they are picking out. Otherwise we must conclude that all good traders are merely lucky.

#69     Jun 13, 2005

10. Your right, momentum strategies (trend following) profits are made on 20% of their trades. The focus on these types of strategies is to start by minimize your losses during directionless phases of the market which occur 80% of the time.

#70     Jun 14, 2005