Chop vs. Trend

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Yag, May 1, 2005.

1. It's like many other indicators: nice to look at after the facts; impossible to wring money out of it by applying kiddy rules.
    :D

#11     May 19, 2005
  2. NN. Anything numerical is numerological. Or is that numerillogical? Mike.

#12     May 19, 2005
  3. kut2k2

kut2k2

If a trader is going to follow the trend, it makes sense to first find the trend. The eff ratio works a heckuva lot better than arbitrary MA crossovers. :cool:

#13     May 19, 2005
  4. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

lol

i bet you have a moustache and wear a black leather cap! (with a silver chain of course!)

#14     May 19, 2005
  5. effkay

effkay

Take a look at guppy moving averages, they tend to be quite useful in identifiying trend.

#15     May 21, 2005
  6. I know it's better than nothing, but it's technically inefficient. You'll always be late with that kind of indicator...

#16     May 21, 2005
  7. effkay

effkay

Isn't that the point of trend trading? Late in late out, catch the big part of the move? So getting in late should never worry a trend follower in my opinion.

#17     May 21, 2005
    murray t turtle likes this.
  8. You're full of dreams my dear ! This theory would be great if the market was 'trending' most of the time, but it actually doesn't ! For one big 'trend' you'll catch, you will get burned 10 times and loose in the average.

Well tried.

#18     May 21, 2005
  9. effkay

effkay

Well that's a problem with trend following techniques, and not my idea. It is however very possible to trade trends provided the market you trade trends well. I think this is the problem with most trend followers, they don't pick their markets well. Anyhow all markets are trending on some timeframe. Take a look at the S&P weekly chart, can you see any trends?!

#19     May 21, 2005
  10. Identifying a naturally 'trendy' market and identifying a 'trending now' market is a different thing.

The first is easier to do : computing autocorrelation and persitence is very easy. However, these autocorrelations/persitences are not large enough to counter slippage, spread and transaction costs. But this is of course something nobody selling TA service will tell you.

#20     May 21, 2005
    Oysteryx likes this.