Choosing mechanical systems

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by prophet, Aug 17, 2003.

1. I am not a math whiz or system tester. But that is simply curve fitting.

--MIKE

#31     Aug 21, 2003
  2. Andre

Andre

I wonder about truly mechanical systems. I think many tasks can be set up for you, but actually pulling the trigger on both sides of a trade? I don't know. Could be my nature to fuss. I'm working on that, just in general, like not being a perfectionist (on household projects, for example).

If good traders often say when they break their own rules, they loose... then why don't they just take those rules and make their systems fully mechanical? Could it be that to make the adjustments one needs to make over time, you need to be in the market more directly than mechanical system allows?

BTW, we're having a chat on Automated Systems tomorrow with ECHOtrade's Jeff DeWitt. He'll be detailing ways of automating traders' strategies using ECHOtrade's new Predator Pro software package.

André

#32     Aug 28, 2003
  3. Dear Trend Fader,

I found many of your posts very interesting. With this one I would be a little more careful. "Curve fitting" is a procedure that is, of course, a well defined concept between mathematicians. To my liking it is used too much by market illuminati to discard an idea that they might not have pondered sufficiently yet.

Always happy to read your posts,

nononsense

#33     Aug 28, 2003
  4. damir00

damir00 Guest

ego. even being the deus behind the machina, it takes an enormous amount of humility to admit/accept you're better of strictly automating.

#34     Aug 29, 2003
  5. Dear damir00,

Very nice damir00.

I'm not sure that I have sufficient humility yet, but I gathered a lot over the years, whenever something went wrong, from trying to "argue" with all kind of computers about "who was right". With people, such exercise is often without merit.

Be good and happy automating,

nononsense

#35     Aug 30, 2003
  6. DT-waw

DT-waw

200 million dollars :eek: Why don't you spend $500 to buy more data? What level of commissions & slippage costs are included in your tests?

#36     Mar 28, 2004