CHK - Chesapeake Energy In Trouble?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by TT1, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Just bought a shit load.

Bought Oil at 82, legging in over the next few days.....first got in at 84 yesterday.

This is fuking Great !!!!!!!!!!

Biggest buying oportunity ever in the history of "markets".

I do not think its bottom, but I'm liquid and i'm starting to hunt.

#11     Oct 10, 2008
  2. CHK produces 92 % gas. They have roughly 75 % of their 2008 production hedged at prices averaging over $9. Over half of 2009 production is hedged at >$9. 24% of 2010 is hedged in the high $9 range.

They are trading down as much or more than companies that are basically unhedged. While some of it, as landis points out, is due to their heavier debt load, I have to think most of their drop is due to the fact that they were heavily owned by hedge funds that are being forced to liquidate.

No one knows where this ends, but I have to think getting the premier large cap name for <2x cash flow is a great deal.

#12     Oct 10, 2008
  3. Stok

Stok

I live in DFW....saw on news last night that CHK is slowing down production in Barnett shale big time.

NG prices are way down and I bet they continue to fall.

#13     Oct 10, 2008
  4. By Christine Buurma
    Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)–Shares of Chesapeake Energy Corp. (CHK) fell 16% Friday,
    extending this week’s steep slide amid the broad selloff in equities, and on
    concerns over the company’s exposure to the credit crisis and slowing growth.
    The Oklahoma City-based natural gas producer has borrowed heavily to fund land
    purchases and drilling amid a boom in gas production in Texas, Louisiana,
    Pennsylvania and elsewhere. This has spooked investors as the credit markets
    have frozen, and exacerbated a steep drop in Chesapeake’s market value as the
    price of gas has dropped by half since early July. In response, Chesapeake has
    cut its spending and drilling plans, and is scrambling to sell some assets.
    Analysts said unsubstantiated rumors of liquidity problems Thursday sent the
    cost of insuring Chesapeake’s debt soaring, and hit the company’s shares.
    However, these analysts added that the company doesn’t appear to be facing any
    immediate cash crunch.
    “Bottom line - unless there is some hidden situation that has developed in the
    past week, CHK will weather this storm,” Tudor Pickering Holt analysts wrote in
    a note Friday. They noted that several service companies told them they are
    being paid “promptly and currently” by Chesapeake.
    Chesapeake Chief Executive Aubrey McClendon told The Wall Street Journal that
    the company expects to end the year with $5 billion to $6 billion in cash,
    enough to keep growing without tapping the capital markets.
    “We spoke with Chesapeake management following Thursday’s 21% stock sell-off,”
    wrote Jason Gammel, an equity analyst with Macquarie Research in New York, in a
    note to clients Friday. “We are satisfied following this conversation that
    Chesapeake remains liquid, still generating a strong level of earnings and
    cashflow and remains well within the provisions of its debt covenants.”
    The difficult credit environment could make it harder for Chesapeake to raise
    capital by selling assets. Chesapeake is trying to sell minority stakes in the
    company’s midstream assets and in its properties in Pennsylvania’s Marcellus
    natural gas shale. The company also plans to sell a so-called volumetric
    production payment, which entitles the purchaser to receive scheduled
    quantities of natural gas from Chesapeake’s interests in producing wells.
    Chesapeake has aggressively purchased leases for millions of acres in natural
    gas shale formations over the past few years, at one point planning to spend
    $18 billion in 2008, more than three times the company’s operating cash flow.
    But falling natural gas prices have led the company to scale back its capital
    expenditures.
    Chesapeake shares were recently down $2.83, or $16, at $14.88, after falling
    21% on Thursday. Shares are down 78% from their 52-week intraday high of $74
    hit on July 2.

-By Christine Buurma, Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-2061

October 10th,

#14     Oct 10, 2008
  5. #15     Oct 10, 2008
  6. TT1

TT1

It just goes to show, you don't trust these motherf**ker CEO's.

If that's the way he runs his own personal finances, How do you think about the way he runs the company??

I knew there was something fishy about all his purchases of stock earlier this year!!! This year alone he bought something like $400 million of stock on MARGIN!!!

all these fuckers are highly leveraged CHK, APA, APC

Can you say CONSOLIDATION is comming to the Energy patch!

#16     Oct 10, 2008
  7. Guys an asshole.

Thing is, some people's imbecilia only gets revealed under certain conditions.

Like now.

#17     Oct 11, 2008
  8. mike007

mike007

I know alot of people that follow cramers recommendations blindly. He is the wort stock pumper I have ever seen.

#18     Oct 12, 2008
  9. m22au

m22au

I'm not short CHK yet, but I find this story very interesting.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-chesapeake-ceo-took-1-104659547.html

Looking at CHK today it appears that there are more than a few investors using this news as a reason to exit.

editing to add link to Zero Hedge commentary:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/visualizing-aubrey-mcclendon-rehyptohecation-scheme-and-china-trail

which includes a link to a PDF special report from Reuters:
    http://graphics.thomsonreuters.com/12/04/ChesapeakeMcClendon.pdf

#19     Apr 18, 2012
  10. In any list of companies with miserable corporate governance, CHK has to be close to the top. McLendon is a legend in the E & P business, but he seems to lack any basic understanding of the distinction between the CHK treasury and his personal checking account.

In the aftermath of his disastrous forced sale of margined company stock in 2008, the company generously stepped up and bought a load of so-called cowboy art from him for a whopping price.

He has had this embarrassing percentage participation in every well for a long time. It's basically just a rakeoff, extra compensation for him that they avoid disclosing I guess. What in the hell is a company doing lending the CEO money against company stock that he uses to "invest" in wells the company is drilling? How exactly is this benefitting the company or its shareholders? How can it even be legal?

We may not be able to avoid subsidizing waste in the government, but there is an easy way to avoid being part of this debacle. Just say no to CHK.

#20     Apr 18, 2012