chips

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soler, Aug 31, 2003.

1. soler

soler

guys whats the difference with the P4 mobile & the intel centrino mobile?

which is better? is the centrino like the celeron processor?

thx

2. gnome

gnome

I was just at CompUSA today... talked to an Intel rep... He said, "besides the support of wireless, the Centrino got significantly longer battery life... it is the more modern chip."

3. omcate

omcate

To the best of my knowledge, there are three main types of Intel Pentium Processors for the notebooks, Pentium M, Mobile Pentium 4-M and Mobile Pentium 4. The Mobile Intel Pentium 4-M will gradually be phased out over the rest of this year, subject to customer demand. A 1.6 GHz Pentium M processor can easily beat a 2.2 GHz Pentium 4-M CPU. The Mobile Intel Pentium 4 CPU are designed for heavy desktop-replacement notebooks. If you like a light notebook with long battery life, go for the Pentium M. In plain English, desktop replacement == heavy notebook. :D

Pentium M is part of the Centrino technology. Currently, this package only comes with the slower 802.11b Wi-Fi chip. You may need to buy an extra PC card that can support 802.11a/b/g later. I am waiting for Intel to release a Centrino Package that will embrace the three Wi-Fi standards. Hopefully, it is not going to be a long wait. :D

Centrino and Celeron processors are very different. Usually, Intel designs a chip for the desktops and then modifies it for the laptop users. I ***THINK*** Pentium M is one of the few chips that is designed for notebook from the beginning.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,111098,00.asp

4. soler

soler

thanks guys.