Chip speed needed for trading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IanMacQuaide, Aug 10, 2012.

1. It seems that in your case, just about anything will work fine. Go for it! :)

#11     Aug 10, 2012
  2. I appreciate your suggestion, as well as your expertise, but I need a Mini PC for portability.
    I'll wait a few weeks and see what comes out on the Mkts, since it changes so fast now.

#12     Aug 11, 2012
  3. You can fit that (or other small form factor) inside a carry on rolling suitcase with 2-3 19" square monitors. If you read my post I linked the site but said to go for the SX series. SX 2855 is what I bought.

#13     Aug 11, 2012
  4. Thank you for the good info.:) Not quite ready, laptop is still working, but I'll check into it.

#14     Aug 11, 2012
  5. Ian you should be telling us the answer. I have i7's and duals cores. One dual core is 2.2 running Vista and I can't see any difference compared to an
    i7 3.4 running W7 once everything is running.

Before the dual cores I had P4's 800Mhz running the same software and I still can't see any difference to the P4 once it is all running and that is with a load of charts, many of which are below 1 min.

Sierra is very low on resources and it depends on the applications you run. Look at your system resources and if you have plenty of overhead and everything is working well then if it's not broken...

#15     Aug 12, 2012
  6. Good point. Tomorrow I'll hit Ctrl/Alt/Del and see what my resources are.

#16     Aug 12, 2012
  7. Yup.
    That should give you a pretty clear indication of whether or not your hardware resources are being under pressure or not.

I think that for most of us, our software trading platforms run pretty darn "thin" and don't take up much in the way of resources.

HOWEVER, as soon as you open up your web-browser to load a web-page.... all bets are off.

You will see your "resources" under heavy demand.

Windows 7 has a handy little "gadget" that shows the percentage of processor and memory resources being used. Looks like two tachometer dials and is a nice little widget to have on your desktop to reference from time to time. Saves you from having to open up your Task Manager with the proverbial "Ctrl/Alt/Delete"

#17     Aug 12, 2012