Chinese Yuan

Discussion in 'Forex' started by enkidu007, Jun 11, 2005.

1. I have some risk capital and would like to buy some chinese yuan. Anyone know where I can go and do this in a small amount?

Thanks

2. Hayek

Hayek

Do you have ways to covert CNY back to dollar after CNY reval? CNY is not an free exchangable currency in capital account.

USD/CNY NDF can be a good choice. But it will take you some time to find a broker having that product and the initial deposit may not be small.

3. jrkob

jrkob

I'm living in Hong-Kong, most local banks now offer to open CNY-denominated saving accounts.

Unfortunately I believe the max amount you can deposit is 10,000 CNY. Unless this changed recently.

Contact your local HSBC branch, may be they're offering CNY saving account in the US too, I guess your CNY-saving account would be opened out of HK.

I personally don't speculate on the appreciation of the CNY because (1) my personal opinion is that it's still going to take a long time before a reevaluation of the CNY, and (2) reevaluation is unlikely to be very big at the beginning, we're talking about less than 5% here.

I, again personally, think the potential return isn't that great.

4. Techguy

Techguy

My understanding is that China needs to make the Yuan publically tradeable by 2007 due to a WTO agreement.
    Speculation was that it would be fixed to a basket of Asian currencies rather than the USD or EUR.

Is this correct? If so what is the latest on this?

5. Hayek

Hayek

If there is a basket, USD will be the biggest component of it. Then will be JPY, EUR and HKD. South Korean Won and Singapore Dollar may be also included.