China's disappearing ships: The latest headache for the global supply chain

Discussion in 'Economics' started by themickey, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Nobert

Nobert

As i mentioned,such reasoning would make around 10% ~. It wouldn't be a ww2 once again. Even a simple drone could spy on ships from above, what to speak about advanced radars etc.

I think the reason was mentioned in the article, - they just want to have it all under control.

And on this one i have no right to say anything. Their ships, their choice :)

Another reason, - they recently remade this cruise ferry into a military ship. Who knows, maybe some military ships would be disguised as civilian ships. The land of Sun Tzu and a homeland of IT theft, so, anything is possible.

#11     Nov 24, 2021
    cobco likes this.
  2. JSOP

JSOP

That's what I suspected. But why bother masking the AIS signals? I read further about AIS signals and here is what I found: https://artes.esa.int/satellite-–-automatic-identification-system-satais-overview#:~:text=The AIS signals have a,a bandwidth of 25 kHz.

These signals are really short-range and are really used for ship-to-ship communication and for navigational purposes. They are really like turn signals or braking lights on a car. Masking those AIS signals is like driving without turn signals or braking lights. That's extremely dangerous so that's why large ships over a certain size are mandated by the International Maritime Organization to always carry AIS signals. Basically you are not allowed to sail without carrying those signals; it's like you are not allowed to drive without turn signals or braking lights. So this is why I find it a bit preposterous for China to want to mask AIS signals.

If China is doing this so to mask the deployment or location of their military vessels, that's even a more stupid motive. Military vessels are not tracked by AIS signals; they are tracked by lot more sophisticated tracking system. AIS is mainly for large cargo ships communication. LOL

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    #12     Nov 24, 2021
    Nobert likes this.
  3. JSOP

JSOP

It's not accusing. EVERYTHING that is produced in China serves one purpose and one purpose only: To help the government and the PLA. And we know PLA is the Chinese military. You don't have to do the "i.e". LOL We all know that.

#13     Nov 24, 2021
    d08 likes this.
  4. Nobert

Nobert

Yes, i know first hand the importance of those systems, especially in the fog/night/heavy storm etc.

Even with the systems, iv seen cases where ship is sailing directly into ours, and we had to contact them, in order to adjust the course.

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2...an-ferries-for-amphibious-assault-operations/

Who knows.

Egh. Whatever. Don't want to waste too much energy on them :)

#14     Nov 24, 2021
  5. thecoder

thecoder

Hey, buddy, you took your medicine today? :)

#15     Nov 24, 2021
  6. JSOP

JSOP

Looks like I touched a nerve... LOL

#16     Nov 24, 2021
  7. smallfil

smallfil

It isn't the ships are disappearing, why would it? What is happening is shipping lines are charging what the market will allow. Since, there is a demand for more shipping, US being among the largest consumer market, shipping lines have to maximize their trips. There was a report that shipping lines were leaving the US with empty shipping containers and passing on loading cargo on the way back to Asia to save time. The reason is they get paid only smaller amounts per container van headed to Asia while, Asia headed to the US, they are getting several times the amount in shipping fees. So, it is more lucrative for shipping lines to haul cargo from Asia to the US. This is one more reason that rebuilding US industries and having an America First policy makes a lot of sense. Imports will cost more too headed to the US because the shipping lines will jack up their shipping fees---you just wait, it is coming. Those who voted for Joe Biden, say thank you again. One more mess on isle 5. Ask Joe Biden to clean it up.

#17     Nov 24, 2021
  8. Geez, what'd u guys expected after US stopped Chinese ships and harassed those on board whether they were members of the CCP? Continue to allow those ships to be tracked?

https://www.theepochtimes.com/us-in...p-membership-chinese-state-media_3599084.html

#18     Nov 24, 2021
    mervyn likes this.
  9. mervyn

mervyn

I just read that China will purchase 150 billion agricultural products from asean countries in the next five years. I guess the Asians all prefer rice eating rather than wheats and corns.

#19     Nov 24, 2021
  10. JSOP

JSOP

What? Just because those Chinese ships are not carrying AIS signals (they can still be tracked without the AIS signals btw) that they won't be interrogated when and if they arrive off the US coast? LOL Learn to apply logic in your thinking.

Trolls on here are getting dumber and dumber every day.

#20     Nov 24, 2021