China watch list

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by thehangingman, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Hello. So I'll just say this right away, I'm a newbie to this but I think it's all pretty fascinating. I've got $4,000 that I can experiment with and it seems China's economy is a good gamble. I enjoyed reading a lot of what you all had to say. I went and checked out a lot of the symbols on bigcharts.com and the activity looks promising (as far as my inexperienced eyes can see). I know a lot of message boards usually shun the newbs but I'm pretty motivated about all of this and have a ton of books I"ll be reading along the way. I'm wondering if anyone out there might be able to act as a short-term mentor to kind of help me get started on ideas of where to put my money in China. Looking to both day trade and hold some stocks and (hopefully) watch them grow in the long. Any pointers are greatly appreciated, thanks. :) Oh, by the way, I'm planning on signing up with AmeriTrade because of the special they have going, but Scottrade seems good too. Any ideas on this subject? Thanks again..

TranceNode@yahoo.com

#41     Jan 11, 2007
  2. A Couple thoughts (1) CHINA acting a little wiggy here basically raised guidance again for what must be the fourth time... Trying to form mini pennant today to b/o again but meeting good resistance. This needs to get up and over $10.15 in the worst way. (2) AOB gap down and take it right back...it's an effort to shake us from these names. We must hang tight.

I'm adding China Hotel Play HMIN to the list. Today gap down $1 at open now $2 higher! Major reversal I think. Am going to wait for it to calm down a bit - although any break over $40 will have it off and running to where I won't be able to catch it.

#42     Jan 11, 2007
  3. I'm putting $1,000 in CHINA tomrrow, I think... Then $1,000 in AVNX, and $1,000 in AMD. Hopefully it works out for the best.

#43     Jan 11, 2007
  4. albi

albi

Good luck Colorado,

I've been checking the hong kong market results before I make a china stock trade. They're usually in sync.
    My broker is tdameritrade, been with them for years and very satisfied. Tony

#44     Jan 11, 2007
  5. TD Ameritrade is who I'm signed up with. 45 days of free trades. Wish I had more knowledge so I could fully take advantage of this! What do you mean by Hong Kong Market Results?

#45     Jan 11, 2007
  6. Moreagr

Moreagr

CTEL ----- what a monster today :eek:

check it out

#46     Jan 11, 2007
  7. Hey hangman and stoney,

I like what I see with AOB EXCEPT I noticed that over the past few days top executives have sold about $20M worth of stock... any thoughts on this? I got burned a little on a less-than-squeeky-clean China stock before (BBC) so things like this throw up red flags in my head.

#47     Jan 12, 2007
  8. Oh my tommymoose I got pimp slapped with BBC too. Management even did a road show at Wackovia and lured in my brotherinlaw-broker with all their BS. Handcuffs anyone?

Nice point on the insider. It's tough to find insider info on the China plays...

Since the gossip is of a spilt off of the game side let's take a quick peek under the covers there-

Since its commercial launch in July 2005, Yulgang, the first free-to-play, pay-for- merchandise massive multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) in China, has maintained steady growth and continuous popularity. The game encourages cooperation and teamwork between the players. Consistent with this successful theme, the v170 upgrade provides Chinese gamers with adorable and powerful virtual pets to further enhance their gaming experiences. Now gamers can buy the pets they love, interact with them, train them, and make them stronger with merchandises specially designed for pets. Besides enabling gamers to develop a bond with their pets, the upgrade also significantly improves the game's overall operation and attractiveness.

This upgrade has been highly anticipated by the continued growth of registered users of Yulgang, which now numbers 42 million, up from 37 million users at the end of the third quarter of 2006. More than 1 million registered users upgraded to the new version immediately. Recognized revenue on the first day of v170 launch was US$235,000, tripling that of the day before. During the first week of v170 launch, the average daily revenue was US$160,000, up 72 percent from the daily average revenue in Q3 2006.

Lets get this straight- stick some virtual pets into the game and daily rev spikes 72%! Boy the software tweak factor is huge here- what happens when they introduce virtual mistresses? Certainly you want to be in the stock for the next earnings report when the expand on the v170 upgrade and say how many gamers have upgraded.

CDC Games also has a growing pipeline of new online games. The company plans to launch its licensed game The Lord of the Rings Online(TM): Shadows of Angmar(TM), a MMORPG based on the literary works of J.R.R. Tolkien, later this year, and has licensed two additional widely popular games in the Asian markets, "Special Force" and "Stone Age 2", both also planned for delivery in China later this year. CDC Games also recently announced an agreement with Gorilla Banana Entertainment to distribute their first game, Red Blood, a free-to-play MMORPG based on an immensely popular comic book series in Korea, in 2008.

Of those I would say Red Blood might be the big winner. So not only do you have a company that has raised guidance you know they could drop the spinoff bomb at any time- or raise guidance again. It's a little monster to be sure but with a very real and viable other software side providing the company steady income. The delay in 3G launch in China (yet again) could hurt their competitors more than CHINA I believe as their value add stuff is already being used and most of their action is web based not phone based. Price Target I would guess is around $13.....

#48     Jan 12, 2007
  9. Hey I blabbed on not realizing the thought was on AOB!
    You can see the stonedinvestor is a bit unnerved by the 3plus % sell off today in China.... Or was it yesterday? But yesterday over there is today.. So how is today? Must be the weekend?

AOB is a MONSTER. Why well anything plant based in the medical world I feel is better than man made. And certainly the Chinese culture feels that way. These guys are linked nice into the government, they provide products which for the most part are covered under the Chinese healthcare system and thus reach a wide audience. Their newest product is a dissolvable pill which greatly regulated menstrual cramps for women.

The big new push for them is using celebrities from the hong Kong filmworld and a super huge female actor i think it might be the older lady from Crouching Tiger not sure- but her face on their products is guaranteed to move mucho units. For me this is very much less flash in the pan than most Chinese companies.... The stock has a real good shot of reaching $20.~ stoney

#49     Jan 12, 2007
  10. albi

albi

I check out this site early morning or the night before. It sums up the asian markets. If they're in rally mode, it bodes well for china related stocks.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/globalmarkets/default.asp

#50     Jan 12, 2007