China wants to open its commodity markets to foreigners

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by TraDaToR, May 19, 2017.

1. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...r-the-target-for-china-s-big-derivatives-push

"After years of building up locals-only markets for key products like grains in Dalian and metals in Shanghai, China wants to expand the kinds of investments permitted for foreigners. Exchange operators also plan to add futures contracts for key raw materials including hogs, apples, cotton yarn, pulp and urea fertilizer, as well as options on copper, corn and cotton. Despite bullish comments by officials, however, some question whether authorities have the appetite to truly open up."

2. just21

just21

Copper options would be a first as they don't trade on CME.

3. JSOP

JSOP

If 1) Allows also an corresponding options market for the same commodities and

2) The government promises NEVER to intervene in the spot or the options market for these commodities in any way, shape or form directly or indirectly NO MATTER what happens

Then sure, I am game. Otherwise I am NOT putting 1 cent of my money when it can be wiped out in an instant when the government inject Billions to manipulate the market in one direction or another.

4. lx008

lx008

But how about the capital control ? Can foreign investors get their money out ?

5. maxinger

maxinger

Are foreigners able to trade commodity futures like iron ore from Dalian Futures exchange / SHFE? If not, any suggestion which alternative Exchange we can trade with?

6. JSOP

JSOP

Yes capital control is still in place and nope you cannot get your money out UNLESS they changed the rules to attract foreign investors. Last time I checked, you can only take out $500 a day with no questions asked otherwise your money stays in China regardless what your citizenship is.

7. luisHK

luisHK

Was Mao even born last time u checked ? there are capital controls on chinese yuan, an individual can only change 50000usd a year without hassle, but u can move much larger amounts of foreign currencies, if one's bank allow that ( international banks like HSBC are ime more confortable with individual accounts international foreign currency transfers, but better stick to mainland banks if u deal with rmb and local transfers).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  8. luisHK

luisHK

9. JSOP

JSOP

Yes for CHINESE citizens, NOT for foreign national. Yes if you are a Chinese citizen, you can exchange that much in a year ONCE but if you are a foreign national, NO.

NOT true, NOT in China. NO banks in China would allow you if you are a foreign national to move more than $500 USD abroad even though you are not even a citizen of China. You want to risk getting your money stuck in China? Go right ahead, stupid troll!

Member put on "Ignore".

10. luisHK

luisHK

Lol, the experts are out in force today, we only need Volpunter back and the party would be at full throttle.

For those interested reread the link as well as other links available on the net. You can then chose wether to believe Jsop's mindfarts or HSBC website.
    I'm speaking from personal experience with HSBC China btw as a non chinese citizen. 200k a day through their global transfer feature no problem, one second the money is with HSBC China, the next second it is in a different country HSBC account . It works the same the other way around. No problem either withdrawing 10k USD a day, except it's better to call in advance to order the notes, especially non USD notes.
    Exchanging 50k a year also fine, easily done online.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    #10     Aug 9, 2017