China Trade War Over. Trump Wins. Again.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Jan 18, 2019.

1. China begging to buy way out of trade war. https://www.investors.com/news/economy/china-trade-deal-offer-to-trump-lifts-dow-jones/

Globalist economists, ie all of them, and country club republicans were aghast at the mere thought that Trump would challenge the Chinese in a trade war. It would be lose-lose, in their eyes. Our economy would be ravaged and for what purpose? To prop up inefficient domestic manufacturers? Or Trump might win, then we have the spectacle of a dominant white man lording it over people of color. Not good.

Well, he did it anyway and it turned out pretty much as he predicted. Easy win. The chinese folded like cheap imported lawn chairs. Now they are begging Trump to take their money, just stop hurting them. He's not a statesman, he's a common bully, a street thug. We're ok with that.

2. Arnie

Arnie

What about intellectual property?

3. destriero

destriero

lol Trump wins... attempts to divert from Trump Tower Moscow by eliminating tariffs with nothing in return. lol to buying $400B in US-goods. No IP protection. No protections from FX manipulation.

Oh yeah! North Korean summit! Zero disarmament and sanctions are 100% intact. UN condemns DPRK in December. I recall that Trumptard declaring victory on that one as well.

Tony Stark likes this.
  4. It's not likely to be a problem because our new third world open borders country won't be producing much.

5. wildchild

wildchild

Good.

Trump Pulls U.S. Delegation Out of Davos Forum, Citing Shutdown

6. I definately would not characterize The Chinese negotiators as being weak. I see both sides being practical and realizing global recession risk probably increases every day trade uncertainty goes on.

In fact, I laud the Chinese in making the bold move they did in committing to buying US goods. now if both sides really wanted to go for a economic grandslam and probably decisively increase business confidence, maybe they could consider working towards a cooperative venture on a major food security, energy security, or space manufacturing project.

China has grown to a world leading economic power that appears to be using their position effectively and responsibly. Trump also deserves great credit, if the details of the trade deal are truly fair and it goes through, for holding firm in his demand for a fair trade agreement. I’m sure there would be several non-public side agreements on this deal, so even reading through the public version of the trade agreement would not reveal all the negotiating points.

A fair trade agreement is more likely to be honored by both sides and makes for a more stable relationship and less geopolitical uncertainty.

7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

You get that this totally flies in the face of China’s long term plan. Unlike the US, they have a long term plan: China 2025. They want to make everything from jet liners to mechanical pencils.

Expect a paper victory for trump and real losses for Americans.

8. I don’t expect our competitors to handhold us. Indeed, if we go back to electing career politicians to the Presidency, China will overrun the US economically and by extension leaving the US hoping they don’t offend China millitarily. Taiwan would probably be integrated into China and South Korea as well as Japan possibly feeling isolated. Certain other Asian countries may effectively end up under China’s control.

The future belongs to the smart, those with strong character, and those who have a solid long term plan. While I’m rooting for the United States, many people take things for granted in the US and have become lazy. Our culture is not what it once was and we will be facing increasingly competent competition in the future.

traderob likes this.
  9. userque

userque

10. smallfil

smallfil

The Chinese knows that a full out trade war will hurt China more than the US! For one thing, the balance of trade favors them. If tariffs are imposed, Chinese products become more expensive. The claim of US consumers paying more is more a result of someone overpaying for Chinese goods. Why would you buy Chinese goods then, when you can get the same goods from another country say, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, etc. cheaper? Even US manufacturers will move their base to other Asian countries. Why would any manufacturer make their products so expensive so that, consumers avoid buying it? Chinese businesses would go bankrupt, layoff employees, see their sales go way down, fall into a recession. This time, China cannot bailout its economy because the damage would be severe! It would also, curtail Chinese military expansion because the monies have to come somewhere! Top Chinese officials own the riches of China and most of the property of the State. They are all filthy rich. However, a trade war will affect them as well. Less monies for them. We will see if the Chinese roll the dice or come to their senses.

#10     May 8, 2019
    AAAintheBeltway likes this.