China technology - a military threat to the the US

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by RedDuke, Sep 9, 2010.

1. In addition to metals, I also study the field of nanotech. Nano applies the quantum principles used for the communication in this article to materials. Right now, quantum dots are the big thing in nano. The problem is they typically cost over $1000 per gram. However, a bunch of companies are working to reduce this cost dramatically. It is almost a certainty that 5 to 10 years after qdots fall in price to affordable levels, almost all high technology as we know it will become obsolete and be replaced with tech using quantum dots.

#11     Sep 9, 2010
  2. The communication itself isn't instant - the message is carried by the photons in the same way as a normal radio signal or fibre optic signal would be, with the same speed of light constraint.

The extra information carried by the entanglement is instant - so by observing one photon it causes that photon to go into one of two states, and the photon's partner instantly goes into the opposite state, no matter where it is located.

Unfortunately, because the state the photon goes into is random, and can't be chosen or influenced by the observer, that instantaneous property can't be used for communication.

Maybe one day it could though...

#12     Sep 9, 2010
  3. The difference between China and America is that China thinks it terms of a 100 year plan. Americans only think 1 to 2 years ahead.

#13     Sep 9, 2010
  4. bat1

bat1

soon our Army will be this...:) by 2020

Count on it!

[​IMG]

#14     Sep 9, 2010

5. This will never happen until we have true AI software that can self correct, hardware has nothing to do with it.

And current AI technology we have is not even remotely close, it's mostly just static scripting and a bunch neural network designs that hasn't made much progress in the last two decades. I dont know when "skynet" type ai will ever become reality, but not in our lifetime that's for sure.

On something unrelated, if the things continue the way they are, we are also the last generation that will enjoy USA as the world's only superpower both in term of living condition/military etc..

i am not sure if anyone realizes but we are part of history unfolding, a couple hundred years from now, the history books will show 2010-2050(?) will be the decline of the west and raise of china. Right now US is simply eating up its reserve that was built up in the last 100 years while china is leaping ahead on all fronts.

Only two ways the usa can maintain its current status

1) Goto war while still have the best military and essentially hardcap china by blowing it back to the 1980s

2) Drastic government change to reduce waste, cutting debt, and major innovation on the same scale as the internet/assembly line etc.. (very unlikely)

Otherwise china will just gradually takeover in the next 2 decades, while the us use up its reserve.

#15     Sep 9, 2010
  6. clacy

clacy

I'll gladly stay in the US thank you. China can have their hundred year plan. Look where it's gotten them until recently.

#16     Sep 9, 2010
  7. You're being ridiculous. 1 or 2 years?

More like 1 or 2 hours.

#17     Sep 9, 2010
  8. zdreg

zdreg

rah rah the US is #1 is not going to keep america competitive on the world stage.

it is time to get back to the subject of this thread whether china technology particularly "quantum teleportation" constitutes a military threat to the US.

#18     Sep 10, 2010
  9. I think India can counter China, if it becomes member nation of European Union.

#19     Sep 10, 2010
  10. A "brown" EU state?????

even the turks are not being allowed in

#20     Sep 10, 2010