China syndrome.. CRTP

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by uninvitedguest, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Quote from uninvitedguest:

I believe with all the excitement about more and more electric vehicles, that this company will do very well. They are up now almost 200% in 2 months. Any thoughts on this?

Yes. You likely overpaid about the stocks. 95% of traders are believed to lose their money. Getting excited about hyped stocks is often a good way to lose money

Guess you don't know that much about batteries, because if you did, you might know that the best way to store batteries at your home,is in the refrigerator.

In Alaska, residents are very very aware that cold batteries have a lot less cranking amps than warm batteries. Looks like you are the one who does not know much about batteries.

Seriously...

#11     Aug 8, 2009
  2. zdreg

zdreg

this thread belongs under the forum stocks.

#12     Aug 8, 2009
  3. oh, sorry. I didn't realize there was a pecking order. I 'assumed' that trading had to do with stocks. My bad, I guess.

#13     Aug 8, 2009
  4. NoDoji

NoDoji

I saw that price as support and rather than put an order n there, I'd want to see the crowd reaction at that price. If you got your order lifted right at support and support failed to hold, it could be a hard ride down to the trend line or the rising moving average.

I personally would watch the action at that support level which is pretty high as it is, and watch the action there, or wait for a move back to the trend line/moving average, which is normal in a trend as long as that area holds. The problem is these high flying stocks mentioned in this thread sometimes go a long way before retracing.

#14     Aug 8, 2009
  5. Topper

Topper

Looks like a solid call. Possibly get out between 36-37 for the daily swing if it moves in your favor?
    CRTP in my opinion, well at least my trading comfort level, might be best left alone until after the release and possible reaction as I many times see the odds/probabilities as random after earnings announcements.

#15     Aug 8, 2009
  6. Huh? Aren't cars and batteries suppose to be used, not stored?

#16     Aug 8, 2009
  7. NoDoji

NoDoji

PWRD is scheduled to report earnings pre-market Monday. I wouldn't recommend trading pre-market because "great" and "bad" earnings can result in crazy moves outside regular trading hours. Price can gap up in pre-market and sell off on the open, and vice versa. The meat of an earnings announcement is hidden in the conference call; that's where the big money reads the future prospects for the company/sector and respond accordingly. An example is FSLR recently, closing around 173.00, shooting above 190.00 in seconds when earnings and revenues exceeded expectations, the falling off a cliff when the conference call revealed weakness in the major German market.

Now I have to ask why you'd want to short PWRD at 38.30. It's been trading in a range for a few days, with resistance at 38.45. If it pushes back up to 38.30, you need to see if it tests that resistance level. If it fails to make a new high, then it's worth a swing short. If it breaks out to a new high, then shorting becomes an exercise in picking a top, and it takes a lot of screen time and strict risk management to successfully play with that strategy.

I can tell you from experience there are easier ways to make money than trying to pick tops and bottoms without confirmation, but that doesn't keep me from trying to do it at times, when I see certain familiar price action.

#17     Aug 9, 2009
  8. Topper

Topper

Oooo... there's that earnings thing again! lol. Yup. I agree with the bass player... I don't have a choice! (as I am a drummer) heh heh ... Earnings = extra trading activity = the unknown :) Just like when NTES announced last quarter- it sold off from 30.90ish to down to 28, and then blasted off. FUN FUN FUN! FOR THE ENTIRE FAMILY!!

#18     Aug 9, 2009
  9. Topper

Topper

more-

HMIN JOBS XSEL CHINA - I think a couple of these just announced earnings if you want to see what happened

AOB if you like volatility

#19     Aug 9, 2009
  10. Well, my order did get picked up @ 38.3 and there were a few anxious moments, but then it started it's descent and I covered the short @ 36.75, so not bad coinage out of it.

#20     Aug 10, 2009