China set to abolish 1 child policy

Discussion in 'Economics' started by MohdSalleh, Mar 19, 2010.

1. in a population of 1.3 billion

and where is your line of reasoning its because of this policy? So if families have no incentive to keep their child making limited and families bear 3 girls before the first boy they then kill 3 girls and keep the boy? Ludicrous.

#31     Mar 20, 2010
  2. the numbers don't lie. if i recall correctly 20-30mil extra boys were born in recent years, so one should not compare this number to the total population. if there are 120 boys and 100 girls born nowadays, where did the girls go?

most girls were probably aborted at early stages of pregnancy, a few were killed after birth. this is not that different from the western world, where occasionally a mother would kill a newborn for whatever reason and countless fetuses are aborted every minute.

the main diff between china and the west is the sex selection process, but does it really matter who gets killed or aborted: a boy or a girl?

#32     Mar 20, 2010
  3. OF course does it matter to measure against the total population or at least against the total babies born during that period otherwise you dont know whether that is any abnormality or not. But to get a better sense of long term trends you can compare all males against females in the age of below 60 or 50 or 40.

But I thought the thread was about 1 child policy or is this whole thing a hidden agenda to promote a movie airing on HBO?

#33     Mar 20, 2010
  4. Those who have visited a market in China know what is going to happen eventually. To state that 30% of population will be wiped out is an understatement.

#34     Mar 20, 2010
  5. another post that somehow is completely unrelated.

I am out of here this getting too childish.

When people stop talking about death vans, abortions, how Chinese law courts busted swap agreements, how everything in China is ugly and dirty and that China is artificially running a trade surplus and that China is spying and copying and stealing and nothing else.....if there is another thread that deals with facts and not opinions by some total noobs, who think they are the experts on China just because they follow some blogs or have participated in a tracking tour through China, then, maybe then it time to add some value (I know to those who have an axe to grind with China and can only criticize everything this country has to offer, no proponent could ever add value).

#35     Mar 20, 2010
  6. Well, it does not matter if China abolishes 1 child policy or not.It is a moot point. It is only a matter of time before a virus wipes out 30 to 50% of population. Anybody who have visited a market in China will know what I am talking about.

#36     Mar 20, 2010

7. kids yes, wanna be rappers and ball players no.

#37     Mar 20, 2010
  8. loza

loza Guest

but ultrasound is cheap in china (cheap knock off for $25) so many people buy it and abort poor baby girls even in non ag communities. Its a cultural habbit (just like eating tiger penis or spitting flem everywhere) and they cannot break it.
    Disclosure: I work with the chinese every day, I do not live there...OK?

#38     Mar 20, 2010
  9. uh-oh that means they are entertaining the idea of armed conflict in the future.

#39     Mar 20, 2010