China set to abolish 1 child policy

Discussion in 'Economics' started by MohdSalleh, Mar 19, 2010.

1. happens rarely but is not the norm. I dont need to be a fanboy to debunk this BS. And the percentage of those who still abide by the one -child policy, cited in the article by the OP, is nothing but a guesstimate. It is nowhere supported by any statistics, official nor by any outside organization. I am happy to stand corrected if you show me such statistic. Call me whatever you want, but all this crap that people make up about China is really ridiculous.

#11     Mar 19, 2010
  2. See my post, you may not be familiar with what goes on outside the big city financial district.

I sold my property and haven't been back since 2008 preferring to live in Singapore and Seoul when in Asia so maybe things have changed since then.

This documentary gives lie to the article cited by the OP who I doubt has spend much time traveling through rural China.

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/ch...entaries/chinas-stolen-children/synopsis.html

#12     Mar 19, 2010
  3. HBO? Come on whats coming next.

Why are all the China threads going off topic after a few posts. This is not about abortions. Its about whether China is going to abolish the 1 child policy. The percentage figures are completely manufactured and even with disregard to that China cannot even afford to abolish it. The country has just way too many people and politicians dont seem to want to follow India's footsteps, for good reason. India is gonna explode in a few decades if that country does not do anything about its population growth.

#13     Mar 19, 2010
  4. 1) What's wrong with HBO?

2) The topic of abortions is directly related to the thread topic of the Chinese 1 child policy. A consequence of abolishing the 1 child policy is that Chinese families will no longer kill their female child in hopes of holding out for a male. You can dispute the regularity with which this tradgedy occurs, but if it saves just 1 female child, then mission accomplished.

3) How can you say that the Chinese 1 child policy is not enforced and is ineffective, and then turn around and say China cannot afford to abolish this policy because it has too many people?

#14     Mar 19, 2010

5. I havent travelled through rural china? I have been to 9 of china's provinces, trekking through Anhui, Yunnan, sichuan and qinghai in depth.I have sumitted huang shan, been to the mogao grottoes and made my way to wulingyuan. I even discovered where Zhu yuan zhang(ooops guess u have no idea who that is, China expert) once hid in this obscure village feeling from mongol forces while trapiasing through Anhui. Continue living in "shanghai" and think this is representative of China, MORON.

#15     Mar 19, 2010
  6. spinn

spinn

China is a primitive barbaric country whose primary sources of income are a) making crappy stuff and b) stealing.

#16     Mar 19, 2010
  7. I really love the "You havent been there so it must not be true arguement."

And this whole arguement about traveling in the big cities or in rural areas is a joke. None of you all did a survey when you were there, did you? Did any of you survey 1000 households in urburn or rural areas, or did you just ask the old chinese man in the back of the shop who was drinking tea what he thought?(that guy NEVER makes up stories,does he?)

Journalists (good ones anyways) generally do a little bit a of research to support their facts. There is no reason right now to assume that what they say about the population decreasing in the future is wrong. I'm sure they took into account that some people wouldnt obey the laws and that some would.

#17     Mar 19, 2010
  8. Look I could care less about what you do in your country, I am not judging your culture or government practices. Its your country and if you want to pull out live baby girls and club them over the head and dump them in trashcans. Thats your perogative.

But the facts are pretty much obvious when the male/female ratio is several deviations beyond the norm for natural birth rates.

#18     Mar 19, 2010
  9. Very, very bad policy change for China and our species. Even worse for other species.

Nothing good can come out of our unchecked population growth. Glad I'm only 20 years away from death.

#19     Mar 19, 2010
  10. Why did they not simply make a rule that said...¨no more children once you have had a son.¨Am I naive in thinking this may have had a more realistic chance of achieving the governments aims?

#20     Mar 19, 2010