China pushes back against US sanctions with new rules

Discussion in 'Economics' started by themickey, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Peter8519

Peter8519

Nixon visited China in 1972 with the intention of containing the Soviet Union. Half a century later, there is no more Soviet Union. The relationship with China has become an economic one. China has become more assertive in term economic and territorial expansion. Maybe is imperative to disengage so as to lower the tension. As for Taiwan, if China does not allow Republic of China to exist, then Taiwanese are more than happy to call their country as Taiwan.

#11     Jan 12, 2021
  2. VicBee

VicBee

I fully support the US ensuring freedom of navigation in the South China Seas and preventing China's encroachment of its neighbors there and in Tibet. I support efforts to stop China's brutal treatment of Uyghurs or repression in Hong Kong and I also fully support Taiwan's right to self determination and recognition by the world's nations.
    I also admire China's incredible efforts to rise out from a barely developing nation to soon surpassing the US as the world's biggest economy. I admire their work ethics and discipline and resilience.
    And I loathe Trump for suggesting that the world's dominating power should be white and American. I'm white and American and believe there is greatest wealth in diversity, that our country's leader's role is to uplift our people to become more enlightened. Trump was the opposite of that.

#12     Jan 12, 2021
    comagnum likes this.
  3. JSOP

JSOP

work ethics and discipline, true but also something else... You can't deny that.

This has nothing to do with race. Not all supporters of Trump are white. America is not all white. And Trump has never made pure economic issues to be a race issue, ever. And China itself is not all Asians either. It's a country that has 56 ethnic minorities that include Caucasians aka whites. Dunno why you think it's relevant to bring race into an economic and trade discussion here. If you are about opposing bullies, like I said before, you should be applauding "your country" in standing up to bullies. And for the US to stand up to bullies, it needs $$. Without $$ to fight against bullies is like fighting without a fist. What's the point?

#13     Jan 12, 2021
    Relentless likes this.
  4. VicBee

VicBee

That Trump is going forcefully against China while continuously defending Russia has much to do with his white nationalist agenda. And I agree that race should have no place in economics, except Trump and Bannon and a small cohort of other white nationalists decided to shift from white Russia to yellow China as our enemy and forcefully pushing for disentanglement from them. The same America that has, since the end of WWII, pushed for globalism and free trade is now advocating nationalist bs. I do feel sorry for the business friendly Republicans who now have to contend with nationalists dominating the party!
    Generalization isn't uniformity, so yes Trumpists are white and no, America isn’t white, to Trumpist dismay.
    Unlike Russia in either its communist or nationalist ideologies that has tried to damage the US for decades, China has become a threat to some in the US simply for challenging US hegemony around the globe. China is almost 4x the US population, made rich by foreign investments and export dominated economy. From am economic standpoint we have embraced China and its massive market. But from a political standpoint we are at odds with them, primarily because of their centralized decision making that is the antithesis of our special interests politics in the US. Their efficiency is pointing to the glaring limitations of our system but, rather than addressing our weaknesses, we find it easier to attack their system.
    Anyway, this forum is not really the place to discuss these things in depth. I'd rather step out from this argument and leave it at that. Typing from a phone is exhausting !

#14     Jan 12, 2021
  5. JSOP

JSOP

LOL You need to lay off this race paranoia. And besides if you are white as you claim to be, you should be happy about this. Why make such a big fuss especially if you are typing from a phone? LOL

#15     Jan 12, 2021
  6. VicBee

VicBee

I don't even know how to respond to that.

#16     Jan 12, 2021
  7. VicBee

VicBee

Just picked this up from an article on Hungarian right wing nationalists threatening to tear down a Lady Liberty sculpture rainbow colored, kneeling with the name BLM on the tablet.

“radical left in Hungary want to join the incitement and hatred against whites and Christians."

Couldn't that come out of Trump's mouth? Of course it could. But what fascinates me most is the visceral defensive reaction that BLM or diversity are a threat to white Christians, as if anything seen outside that lense is a threat. Ironically, Hungary is 95% white Christians so the radical Left he is afraid of are also white Christians.

#17     Jan 12, 2021
  8. JSOP

JSOP

Ok I dunno anything about the situation in Hungary so you lost me there. This thread is about China, how China is punishing foreign companies in China for following their own countries' laws. I dunno how you jumped from that to Hungary then to Trump. LOL

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    #18     Jan 12, 2021
  9. themickey

themickey

We’ve done nothing to hurt relationship: China
    Today 21 April 2021

China’s deputy head of mission, Wang Xining, claims China has done nothing intentionally to hurt its relationship with Australia.

China last year imposed trade restrictions on Australian lobster, beef, cotton and timber exports, placed tariffs of up to 212 per cent on wine and 80 per cent tariffs on barley, and unofficially blocked coal shipments.

Instead of any wrongdoing on the part of China, Mr Wang cited Australia and the United States’ actions to block Chinese company Huawei from its 5G network as a way of suppressing China’s economic interests.

He said these actions ran “against market rules and professional or business ethics”.

“Australia has no glorious role in this regard. Remember, Australia was among the first to forcefully accuse Huawei of possible security threat. Now it’s not a single evidence has been presented to substantiate such a claim.”

“Australia was the first to ban Huawei into domestic telecommunication industry building and then Australia even persuaded others to follow suit.

“So by doing so I think Australia connived with the United States in a very unethical, illegal, immoral suppression of Chinese companies.”

#19     Apr 21, 2021
  10. VicBee

VicBee

Yeah, so the Chinese don't speak in impactful anglo buzz words, but he has a point with Huawei.
    As far as I know, to date there is no shred of evidence that Huawei conspires with the Chinese government to spy on its networks via hardware/software backdoors. Unless of course there is such proof because US hardware also takes advantage of inherent weaknesses in hardware/software secured communications to spy on their friends and foes. And there's plenty of evidence of that.

What Huawei, ZTE and other Chinese companies in the telecom sector have done is taken the lead developing 5G tech, and are more advanced than western telecom giants. The concern may be that allowing them to set future standards is a national security risk, so the US requested Australia and NZ (under defense accords) to ban/slow down Huawei for several years until western companies are caught up with them. Something tells me that one of these days the ban will be called a misunderstanding and Huawei, ZET and others will once again be able to sell their products worldwide.

#20     Apr 21, 2021
    comagnum likes this.