China pulls ahead in Stem Cells, U.S. invests in old businesses (autos, finance)

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wilburbear, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Here is an article about the problems with Embryonic stem cell.

"Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- A recent appearance by Dr. Mehmet Oz, a cardiovascular surgeon at Columbia University and a regular on Oprah Winfrey's popular eponymous television program, is generating buzz within pro-life circles. During the program, Oz told Americans the truth about embryonic stem cell research.

Oz made it clear that the "stem cell debate is dead" mostly in part because embryonic stem cells have yet to catch up to their adult stem cell and iPS cell counterparts.

The comments are drawing interest because Oz made them in front of the iconic television personality and embryonic stem cell research advocate Michael J. Fox who has warped and twisted the positions of pro-life advocates during previous elections.

"The problem with embryonic stem cells is that embryonic stem cells come from embryos, like all of us were made from embryos, and those cells can become any cell in the body," Oz explained.

"But it's very hard to control them and so they can become cancer," Oz added, pointing to the efficacy problems of the cells causing tumors after injection into animals during experiments.

Oz went on to talk about the new science of induced stem cells made by reverting skin and other adult stem cells into an embryonic-like state without the destruction of human life.

He said he believes researchers are within ten years of making major breakthroughs using adult stem cells, which have already helped patients with more than 100 diseases and conditions.

"I think we are single digit years away from making a big impact in the lives of Parkinson's disease (victims) but also diabetics, heart attack victims, people who have had a lot of problems," he said of the potential success of adult stem cells.

Those successes could be even sooner than Oz thinks.

http://lifenews.com/bio2820.html

#31     Apr 12, 2009
  2. well said, can't agree more

#32     Apr 12, 2009

3. If it were only about the number of educated people live would be so simple... Do you know anything about China's civil or criminal system? Its intellectual property protections(lol)? Rule of law? Did the (relatively 2008, I think)recent milk poisoning scandal tell you anything about the country? What about the earthquakes of 2008? It was said many times, Xiaoping essentially "gave" people economic way so as they don't interfere with the political way. That premise is inherently NOT entrepreneurial.

Due process is something we have in the US and someting that China does not. That itself counts for a lot. If I am to be kicked out from my residence per eminent domain I would need to be fairly compensated while people in Beijing got kicked out from their homes to make room for high rises (lawlessness :) )

#33     Apr 12, 2009
  4. Eight

Eight

Good, I'm on ignore, I can say "kiss my assets" and he won't know it... I can say, "much assertions from an ignorant asshole with no reference to facts". I can say "more limp wristed commentary from... who knows where"... I guess he had to run off to his Wiccan meeting or something.. he's probably waiting for 4:20 on 4/20 to toke up and come back here with some REALLY COOL stuff, not just the normal cool stuff he already spewed all over this thread... I'm sure he's a legend in his own mind still though...

This is fun sort of... hey dickweed, why did you run off you coward? Hey little girlie man, still looking for any reference to medical successes from embroyonic stem cell research... let us all know what you find.. or not...

He can only see all my brilliant commentary if somebody quotes me.... so quote me somebody... I guess if he can't show us some medical breakthroughs from embroyonic stem cell research in an hour or two... THERE ISN'T ANY !! Hey dickweed, don't wait for the Democrats to tell you about embroyonic stem cell stuff, you will have to get it for yourself...

The guy really had something up his backside sideways so bad he couldn't think really... wonder what it was.. but not really..

OK dickweed, it's been real, it's been fun, it wasn't real fun but hey, you're lame, hard to have fun with you probably...

Later

#34     Apr 12, 2009
  5. maxpi

maxpi

Yeah, the guy spewed assertions, the more you asked for facts, the more he spewed... weird dumb ass.. whatever...

#35     Apr 12, 2009
  6. He probably crashed his moped and they are still looking for the seat...

#36     Apr 12, 2009
  7. America has no future, I wonder how long it will take for the average person to figure it out. Looks like some are at the denial stage right now.

#37     Apr 12, 2009
  8. Galatia

Galatia

I wonder what kind of an idiot could ask for a new opium war? Do you ever know a crap about opium war or talk bullshit just to sound like some kind of "yeah i know history" zealot

#38     Apr 12, 2009
  9. Typical evasion from the radical Christian right. My only point was that GWB banned vital scientific research because of pressure from people who believe in some bizarre fairly tale about goats with 27 eyes and lakes of fire and brimstone and a red guy with pointy horns (or possibly because he personally believes in that fairly tale). Since you can't deny it (because it's a fact) you resort to ad hominem and evasion.

Like I said, religious fanatics can be the cruelest of all.

#39     Apr 12, 2009
  10. Was this addressed to me? If so you may want to re-read my post; your post above doesn't make much sense in response to mine. I likely know more than you do about China. I never said that China was a paragon of respect for human rights, nor did I say that I admire any of the clearly problematic aspects of Chinese society that you outline. My comments were framed with respect to the idea that there could be no brain drain from America to China. It's already happening and if you add the next ten countries on the list, it's a significant problem.

You said that China will not suck talent from other countries. I say that Chinese will absolutely suck talent from other countries by taking over the roles that might have been taken by natives of those countries. That will result in a net talent deficit in the country in question - for it's not only America that is being tapped by countries like China, India, etc.

#40     Apr 12, 2009