China Moves to Save Gaddafi as Russia Warns Of ‘All Out War’

Discussion in 'Economics' started by bearice, Mar 24, 2011.

1. this whole thread is bullshit

#41     Mar 25, 2011
  2. Market loves everything it seems. But when you have a central banks running the markets not much makes since anymore.

#42     Mar 25, 2011
  3. Right. The US doesn't need Libya oil so US is doing Europe a favor here. In terms of NATO, it no longer has a real purpose. But, like any organization or organism, it wants to live and grow and not wither away. So, NATO has to constantly find new (preferably weak so victory is guaranteed) enemies to justify it's existence. This started with Serbia/Kosovo and now continues with Libya. In terms of security, the US can go to the UN or just form a temporary coalition as needed to handle any situations as they arise.

#43     Mar 25, 2011
  4. Larson

Larson Guest

I agree, especially the comments about Russia and their military capabilities. Russia is not going to engage US, unless forced to. The blitz through Georgia in '08 got my attention.

#44     Mar 25, 2011
  5. agreed, but look who the OP is? should you expect any different? :)

The US has PLENTY of energy sources and is in no danger of being at the behest of anyone over energy.

#45     Mar 25, 2011
  6. olias

olias

I might be overly optimistic, but it seems to me there ought to be a way for countries to come together and take action collectively when some bullshit is going down. Don't you get upset when you see someone like Gaddafi running around killing his own people when the try to have peaceful protests? Isn't that the kind of thing that people everywhere can unite and try to put a stop to? And not even because we're angels but because the world is inter-connected. We have US citizens in Libya. Many Americans have family in Libya. It would send a message to other would-be dictator assholes that the world is not going to just sit by and let you get away with these kinds of atrocities. Whether it's NATO or some other organization, I think there is a place for this type of body.

I just don't understand the mind-set of people who say we're not supposed to care because it's happening on some other part of the world. Sovereignty is great, but there are things that overstep those limits and the world has not only a right, but an OBLIGATION to put a stop to.

#46     Mar 25, 2011

7. There was a guy named "Curveball" I believe, who said Iraq had WMDs without presenting any proof. He lied because he wanted to get rid of Iraq's leader. I have not seen any evidence of Libya's leader shooing civilians besides word of mouth. These same civilians became armed rebels overnight while other civilians protest for years without taking up arms. Something doesn't seem right about the Libya situation to me.

Granted, I am not defending Libya's leader at all. He may have well committed crimes, but I have not seen any evidence of it besides word of mouth, which I do not trust.

Keep in mind how quickly we supported the rebels in Afghan against the Soviets. We all know who those rebels turned out to be.

#47     Mar 25, 2011
  8. toc

toc

'but an OBLIGATION to put a stop to'

then send your missiles and bombs to ivory coast where genocide type situation is going on.

us wants to have friendly governments in nations which are rich in oil, as simple as that. also US wants these 'friendly governments' to become markets for US products.

By going to war on Libya...........US, NATO and EU have come down to 'naked aggression' over a small country. This behavior has to end and national borders have to be respected.

Creating rebels, Facebook, Internet Rumors, Forged reports to UN on WMDs and then Tomahawks and Bombs..........all a reciepe for Global Goonism. :D :cool:

#48     Mar 25, 2011
  9. The only way you can see the evidence for yourself is to go to Libya personally... Obviously this is not realistic.

You have a place a certain faith in the media to tell the truth. If one media outlet was reporting Ghadaffi was killing his own citizens, then it could be taken with a grain of salt. But when many, if not all, are reporting the same thing, you have to place some sort of faith in the fact that they're not lieing.

#49     Mar 25, 2011
  10. Face it man, what you call Global Goonism has been happening since the start of time. And will continue to happen until the end of time.

Look at what happened when the world stood by and let Hitler do his thing. It turned into a massive world war. Had the world stepped in much earlier, the situation could have been squashed much sooner.

#50     Mar 25, 2011