China economic sanctions over human rights abuses

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Cuddles, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

dealmaker likes this.
  2. Geenard

Geenard

There is no doubt that China has serious human abuse cases. It is another case that we look the other way. The conditions in which the workers work are really poor. Chinese government is not only to blame. We also need to man up and take the responsibility as well.

3. Cuddles

Cuddles

https://www.axios.com/trump-uighur-muslims-sanctions-d4dc86fc-17f4-42bd-bdbd-c30f4d2ffa21.html

Exclusive: Trump held off on Xinjiang sanctions for China trade deal

In an Oval Office interview on Friday afternoon,President Trump told me that he held off on imposing Treasury sanctions against Chinese officials involved with the Xinjiang mass detention camps because doing so would have interfered with his trade deal with Beijing.

Driving the news: Asked why he hadn't yet enacted Treasury sanctions against Chinese Communist Party officials or entities tied to the camps where the Chinese government detains Uighurs and other Muslim minorities, Trump replied, "Well, we were in the middle of a major trade deal."

• "And I made a great deal, $250 billion potentially worth of purchases. And by the way, they're buying a lot, you probably have seen."
    • Trump continued: "And when you're in the middle of a negotiation and then all of a sudden you start throwing additional sanctions on — we've done a lot. I put tariffs on China, which are far worse than any sanction you can think of."
    The big picture: China hawks in the Trump administration have privately expressed frustration that the president hasn't used the Global Magnitsky Act to sanction Chinese officials for what many consider one of the worst human rights atrocities of this era.

Between the lines: But that new law is Congress' attempt to pressure Trump to enact sanctions. Trump already had all the authority he needed to sanction China for the camps. Congress passed the Global Magnitsky Act in 2016 — a law designed to counter human rights violations like those being committed in Xinjiang, where witnesses say the Chinese government imprisons, brainwashes, and tortures ethnic and religious minorities.

• China hawks in Congress, such as Republican Sen. Marco Rubio, have repeatedly urged the Trump administration to sanction Chinese officials connected to the Xinjiang mass detention camps.
    But in Friday's interview with Axios, Trump said: "When you say the Magnitsky Act, just so you know, nobody's mentioned it specifically to me with regard to China."

• "If somebody asked me, I would take a look at it," he continued. "But nobody's asked me. I have not been spoken to about the Magnitsky Act. So if somebody asks me about it, I'd study it. But at this moment, they have not asked me about it."
    • In his book, John Bolton writes that Trump gave President Xi a green light to continue with the Xinjiang camps — an allegation Trump denies.
    The other side: While the Treasury Department hasn't taken action with Magnitsky sanctions — which would allow the U.S. government to take harsh measures such as seizing the U.S. dollar assets of targeted Chinese officials — other departments of the Trump administration have taken concrete steps to penalize China for the human rights crisis in Xinjiang.

• Since September 2019, the Commerce Department and the State Department have imposed export restrictions on a total of 21 Chinese government entities and 16 Chinese companies deemed complicit in the abuses in Xinjiang.
    • And the State Department has imposed visa restrictions on Chinese Communist Party officials deemed responsible for the abuse of Uighurs. Additionally, the U.S. has taken minor steps to stop the import of goods produced by Uighur forced labor.
    • A senior administration said he believes the U.S. government is the only government in the world that has imposed actual costs on China for the Xinjiang situation.
    I also asked President Trump whether — as Bolton charges — he asked President Xi to increase China's farm purchases from the U.S. to help Trump win in 2020. Bolton claims Trump made the request when the leaders met in Buenos Aires in December 2018.

• "No, not at all," Trump said. "What I told everybody we deal with — not just President Xi — I want them to do business with this country. I want them to do a lot more business with this country."
    • "By the way, what's good for the country is good for me," Trump continued. "What's good for the country is also good for an election."
    • "But I don't go around saying, 'Oh, help me with my election.' Why would I say that?"
    • "And remember, when I'm dealing with him, the whole room is loaded up with people. We're in a large room with many people in that room. I wouldn't want to say a thing like that. I don't even know if that would be wrong because, you know, but why would I say a thing like that? And I certainly wouldn't say it anyway, but I certainly wouldn't say it in a room full of people."

4. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand

Does anyone here live in China? Does anyone here have a clue? Let China deal with China. There are lots of people in China that are just glad they have a job.

When we are way up there in the sky maybe we can give China some clues. But at present we are at the zoo with a bunch of monkeys.

Monkey see, monkey do.

You don't need a Weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

fudongyang likes this.
  5. Cuddles

Cuddles

6. vanzandt

vanzandt

"Democracy dies in darkness".

Same Lazy Element likes this.
  7. The US followed this logic to the letter when they allowed various other genocides take place (Holocaust, Bengal Famine etc). Maybe for once it's worth doing something, especially since it's not only moral, but is also aligned with the new foreign policy.

8. Cuddles

Cuddles

that 1st post is from 2018 SLE and not much came of it. I'm afraid we've ran out of dry powder at this point and doubt the leadership will have the stomach for it. I actually wonder how much the tariff war accelerated things; not justifiable but the Chinese could see domestic pressure eased by scapegoating and redistributing that stolen wealth.

9. Overnight

Overnight

We didn't know the holocaust was going on! Nobody did except the Nazis, until the Allies started making headway into those areas at the end of the war! Oy!

10. It's not very relevant to the topic, but the answer is "unclear", as far as I remember.

On one hand, as soon as Nazis started killing the Jews in the Soviet Union in the summer of 1941 there was plenty of information filtering to the allied forces. It was primarily stuff like German police reports intercepted by British intelligence; local eyewitnesses, escaped Jews, Soviet news sources etc. By 1942, detailed reports on a Nazi plan to murder all the Jews (with details on methods, numbers, and locations) have certainly reached the Allies from source like Warsaw ghetto underground, various eyewitness account etc. In fact, in 1942 the Allies issued a proclamation condemning the “extermination” of the Jewish people.

On the other hand, it's unclear if this intelligence was ignored or simply misunderstood. The shock of the US and other Allied commanders who liberated camps at the end of the war might mean that either that information was not shared from up high or the extent was not understood.

In short, the US could have done something, from accepting Jewish refugees when it was still possible to escape to actually bombing the railroad lines in the late stages of the war. Same goes for other genocides that the US, a predominant military power "committed to the good" has completely ignored since then. To name the few recent ones, Rohingya, Dafur or Rwanda come to mind.

#10     Jul 27, 2020