China don't believe in patents?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Lights, Dec 26, 2007.

1. If patents were the kind of awful scheme you claim it is, it would show up in the stifling of innovation in this country.
    I don't see that happening at all. Since the late Nineties we've had a sustained increase in productivity, one that hasn't been recognized by anyone. Everyone thinks it was a spurt brought on by the tech boom of the late Nineties. I don't; I think it's a long-term change for the better. So, given that, there is no evidence at all that this weird patent bashing is based on anything other than delusion. Also, ideology. But I repeat myself.

#31     Dec 27, 2007
  2. But this concept of patents has been around for a lot longer than the late Nineties.

#32     Dec 27, 2007
  3. Is it your contention that the low productivity of the seventies to the late Nineties was caused by the patent system? If so, please explain how.

#33     Dec 27, 2007
  4. No, you suggested that the late Nineties' boom was due to patents. I was saying that that would only make sense if the patent system was invented in the late Nineties. I don't think periods of low productivity or high productivity has anything to do with patents.

#34     Dec 27, 2007
  5. Well then, you misunderstood.
    My point was simply that if patents were standing in the way, periods of sustained high productivity would be impossible.
    The US has higher rates of productivity growth than most other industrialized countries, after all. How you square that with an allegedly dysfunctional patent system, I have no idea. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

#35     Dec 27, 2007
  6. DerekD

DerekD

To the OP:

Ok, you must have a better system besides patents in mind. Do tell.

Tell so we can critique it the way you critique the patent concept. And don't leave out how the system you have in mind should work and its benefits.

TIA.

#36     Dec 27, 2007
  7. trefoil, I never said it was dysfunctional. I do think it has some problems, and that it hurts innovation to some degree (which I explained in an earlier post).

#37     Dec 27, 2007
  8. DerekD

DerekD

It doesn't hurt innovation at all. Pride hurts innovation.

It doesn't cost all that much to do a patent search.

And if you do a documented patent search beforehand, your legal expenses should you be challenged later more often than not will be significantly less.

And there's also patent liability insurance which usually costs 2-5% of the policy limit. Deductibles can range from $25k-$100K.

Innovation is doing something someone hasn't done before. Rarely is it a new twist on an old idea.

#38     Dec 27, 2007
  9. Paliz

Paliz

I agree

#39     Dec 28, 2007
  10. Anthead

Anthead

Half the things listed by the OP weren't invented by the Chinese. Chariots? C'mon! That is beyond ridiculous.

Where did you get that list?

#40     Dec 28, 2007