China don't believe in patents?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Lights, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Same could be said about the Romans and British empires who stole every Chinese invention as listed on this thread.

#11     Dec 26, 2007
  2. The amount of royalties owed to the Chinese for their invention of movable type printing and paper, would be in the trillions if not zillions if patents should be enforced ad infinitum. Mind you, paper books were the preferred media format for over a thousand years.

#12     Dec 26, 2007
  3. Icarus5

Icarus5

I'm shocked out of my mind at that statement, to tell you the truth, I had no idea.

Sounds like the Native American attitude towards land ... yep, and if they are not careful, they will have much the same result.

I

#13     Dec 26, 2007
  4. Retired

Retired

That's a very interesting point. The more I think about it, the more I think it's true.

What do you think about copyright?

#14     Dec 26, 2007
  5. The Verve Sued Again Over 'Bitter Sweet Symphony'

Recording copyright at issue in suit by former Rolling Stones producer and manager.
    by Contributing Editor Christopher O'Connor
    The Verve's "Bitter Sweet Symphony" samples a symphonic recording of the Rolling Stones' "The Last Time." ( )
    Another ex-manager of the Rolling Stones has sued for royalties from The Verve's hit single "Bitter Sweet Symphony."
    This time, the aggrieved party is Andrew Loog Oldham, who managed the Stones from 1963-67 and produced several Stones albums. In a suit filed last week in England, Oldham contends he owns the orchestral recording of the Stones' "The Last Time" that The Verve sampled on "Bitter Sweet Symphony" (RealAudio excerpt) and therefore is owed up to 1 million pounds (about $1.7 million) in mechanical royalties.

Composer pays for piece of silence
    Posted: 12:21 PM EDT (1621 GMT)
    LONDON, England -- A bizarre legal battle over a minute's silence in a recorded song has ended with a six-figure out-of-court settlement. British composer Mike Batt found himself the subject of a plagiarism action for including the song, "A One Minute Silence," on an album for his classical rock band The Planets.

He was accused of copying it from a work by the late American composer John Cage, whose 1952 composition "4'33"" was totally silent.

Beyonce Knowles sued for plagiarism
    Article from: The Associated PressFont size: Decrease Increase October 04, 2007 12:00am
    A WOMAN who sued Beyonce Knowles alleging the singer illegally used her lyrics on the hit song Baby Boy has taken her case to a federal appeals court.

Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend" Sued for Plagiarism
    July 05, 2007 07:40:06 GMT
    by Staff Writer
    Avril Lavigne's first single from her latest effort has received both critics and legal action. After being criticized for sounding too similar to Tony Basil's "Mickey", the song "Girlfriend" now is being sued for a plagiarism by a couple of songwriters.

Country Joe McDonald Accused Of Ripping Off Jazz
    Kid Ory's daughter claims McDonald's "I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-to-Die Rag" steals from "Muskrat Ramble."
    By Jon Wiederhorn
    Ory's daughter claims that McDonald's track rips off her dad's 1920s song "Muskrat Ramble," and that McDonald greatly profited from the theft.

#15     Dec 26, 2007
  6. It's not a coincidence that there's so much litigation and so little good music coming out anymore.

#16     Dec 26, 2007
  7. Imagine if there was a Chinese patent on paper and type.. Many of the great minds may have never written down their ideas.

#17     Dec 26, 2007
  8. Do you ever say anything that isn't completely puerile?
    The Constitution sets up patents, and sets them up for a limited time only. The intent is to pay back the investment that the inventor makes in his research. It's one of the things that made the US the largest and most prosperous economy on the planet. Which is after all, indisputable empirical evidence that patents work, and they work as the Constitution intended them to work.

#18     Dec 26, 2007
  9. True.

Tracy is both a guy pretending to be a woman ... and a dickhead.

#19     Dec 26, 2007
  10. Icarus5

Icarus5

LOL, his name is a riff on an NBA basketball player ... and just because he doesn't believe in patents doesn't make him any better or worse than anyone else, it certainly doesn't make him a dickhead.

Patents and Copyrights are how this culture operates ... it's because they don't trust anyone, nope, absolutely no one.

I

#20     Dec 26, 2007