China Computers

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Dec 9, 2019.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

China Computers

The Chinese government is to rid itself of foreign computer equipment over the next few years. Government offices and public institutions will have to switch to local vendors—bad news for Microsoft, Dell and HP, but also a move that somewhat mirrors U.S. efforts to keep out Chinese technology. Financial Times

Nobert likes this.
  2. how can china gov replace windows?

3. VPhantom and Nobert like this.
  4. Snuskpelle

Snuskpelle

Trump has caused long term damage to US tech companies by using their products as chips in his demented game. China is obviously fully capable of replacing all dependencies on external software companies, it's just that nobody was dumb enough to steer them into doing so yet.

5. guru

guru

Are you saying that Trump invented forced technology transfer to China? Are you saying that China doesn’t already steal, copy and replace US products and companies? Are you saying that Trump writes articles and papers like this one: https://econofact.org/what-is-the-problem-of-forced-technology-transfer-in-china ? (such articles when not biased do talk about harm both ways but do you have better alternatives/solutions?)
    Are you saying that CEOs and intellectuals aren’t asking Trump to help stop China from stealing, copying and replacing US companies? Are you saying that you’re happily selling products to thieves who’ll copy and replace and destroy your company, and you’re smarter than Trump?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  6. Snuskpelle

Snuskpelle

In order: No. No. Not gonna click link until I have more time on my hands. I assume it varies. So why are they selling already prior to political involvement? (Or do you actually mean that I am selling to China?)

7. guru

guru

Sorry, selling what?
    The link/article is one of many talking about forced technology transfer, and about fighting China on this having both benefits and negatives - it’s balanced. But no one has a solution and previous US administrations didn’t do anything about this either. Trump at least is trying a solution, and he isn’t alone.

dozu888 likes this.
  8. Snuskpelle

Snuskpelle

If it's so terrible for them, why were US tech companies selling to China? Of course, no one can prevent pirate copying or even reverse engineering non-cloud software but for hardware the cost equation is fairly different given the investments necessary to produce hardware that competes with e.g. an Intel CPU. I assume they wouldn't have been in such as rush to change from US hardware companies without the recent Trump induced events.

I will read article later tonight I hope. To be clear, I don't think all of Trump's China policy is stupid, but cutting China off from tech just leads to them finding solutions around that in a bit longer term. You can't treat tech like you can natural resources.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  9. wmwmw

wmwmw

Naive and clueless.

Stocktracker likes this.
  10. guru

guru

Smart and intelligent response.

#10     Dec 9, 2019
    d08, Nobert and dozu888 like this.