China Compromise

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, May 1, 2019.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

China Compromise

President Donald Trump has reportedly dropped the U.S.'s demand that China end commercial "cyber theft" activities, in order to seal the U.S.-China trade deal. "A lot of issues are being jettisoned from this negotiation because President Trump wants a deal," a source told the Financial Times, which said the U.S. was likely to go with a watered-down commitment from China on the theft issue. Looks like a major win for Beijing if that's the case, though the issue did seem genuinely intractable—the U.S. wanted China to promise to stop doing something it said it wasn't doing anyway. Financial Times

2. Likely China would be stubborn about compromising on things that are really important to them. China will make a few concessions of little importance, and Trump will celebrate victory at "getting a deal".

Some more of his "big hat, no cattle".

3. dozu888

dozu888

a deal is a deal, there is always give and take in negotiations... you always want leave a lot of room for negotiation on the initial ask.

no cattle? too long to list for the first 2 years. tax cuts and de-regulations, the most pro-biz president ever.

all hat? at least he is doing something... obama 8 years didn't even have a hat!

apdxyk and zdave83 like this.
  4. Snuskpelle

Snuskpelle

Yeah, first you almost tank world economy then you get a celebrated "deal" on status quo or worse.

Hey, Obama killed a bunch of terrorists with drones and got Nobel's peace prize for nothing (a shame for my country), lol.

comagnum likes this.
  5. Yes.

Trump trumpeted, "China has been abusing America for a long time on trade... to the tune of ~1$Trillion annually.... that's not fair and I'm going to hammer out a deal and fix that". A righteous thought, I must admit.

Firstly, while China does have a huge trade advantage over the US... mostly handed to it by prior adminstrations... they're in no hurry to give it up, regardless.... and certainly not just because "Donnie says so".

Secondly, now that Trumpy has run his mouth about a "big trade deal" with China and has found out he isn't going to get it on important things worth much money, he wants some sort of signed "deal" so that he can gain closure and claim victory. (We're not all stupid enough to fall for that.)

Don't get me wrong. In spite of his being a flaccid little whimp on this China deal thing (as well as other flip-flop disappointments), I still wouldn't vote for any America-hating Lefty DemoCrap.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  6. carrer

carrer

I don't think Trump is doing that for the sake of closing the deal. At least that's what his track records show. He really wanted to reduce the trade deficits and willing to give up certain things.

You can't win on everything, it should be a win win for both.
    There's no deal if you are the only one who wins.

dozu888 likes this.
  7. You are basically correct, but Trump has found out that he's not going to "win big" like he said and hoped. Now he just wants to cut his losses and get this trade thingy disappointment off of people's minds.

There never was going to be "win-win". China has the big stick, knows it, and isn't going to be handing it over just to be friendly. The reason the markets have rallied on all of the jawboning about the China trade deal... is that they realize it's "all sizzle and no steak", unlike originally feared.

8. dozu888

dozu888

ok good that you wont vote lefty...

one man's power is limited... in this American system the checks and balances certainly has it's pros and cons... (but based on the 250 years of experiment the pros probably outweigh the cons).

guy is trying, at least give him some support... I have donated more money to him than my own discretionary spending..

it's easy for anyone to give lip service from the sidelines.

9. dozu888

dozu888

People should read his 'art of deal'... that's how he negotiates... ask for a mile, then you will get a yard easily.... you don't start the negotiation by asking for the yard, then you end up getting a foot if not only an inch.

and of course his political enemies will use this and say 'aha - you failed the negotiation'..

don't fall that... support your president! he is on your side!

carrer likes this.
  10. ironchef

ironchef

Unless there is no deal, it will be a win-win, the US will get something out of it, the worst outcome will be no deal, status quo, which is what the prior administration got.

China already signaled they would import more products from the US to reduce trade deficits, so that would be the worst outcome if that is the only concession the US gets from China.

#10     May 1, 2019
    dozu888 likes this.