China burns crosses, bulldozes churches in latest religious crackdown

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by themickey, Oct 5, 2018.

1. neke

neke

I think you are entitled to your view - but from what I read the recidivism rate for those who "change" in prison is lower: that is a plus I believe.

#11     Oct 8, 2018
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

There is a lot to take into account when looking at re-offenders. One of the biggest is the support group that awaits them when they get released. Wanting to change true change from within is also very important, but support group in my opinion is the biggest. Most get released with a bag with their belongings and a pat in the back. Its very hard to get over the PTSD they picked up in that environment, specially those that have done plus 10 years. I know I seen it with me own eyes.

#12     Oct 8, 2018
  3. stu

stu

Well depends on what you read I suppose.

"Faith-based prison programs claim to reduce recidivism, but there's little evidence, says FSU research"
    http://www.fsu.edu/news/2006/10/04/prison.programs/

"Policymakers across the country are pushing for implementation of faith-based prisoner reentry programming to reduce recidivism levels, but so far studies by proponents and practitioners of such programs haven't produced much hard evidence that they actually work"[..]

Positive claims are often made in the name of religion, usually by the religious, that don't stand scrutiny.

#13     Oct 8, 2018
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

I'd say they stand a better chance. Cmon FSU should worry more about giving up a lead to the Canes :D

#14     Oct 8, 2018
  5. stu

stu

Maybe, maybe not, but I'll just say, 'Jesus loves you' is the last thing you're gonna want to hear in a Mexican prison.

#15     Oct 8, 2018
    vanzandt likes this.
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

"Jesus loves ME" is what we are looking to hear not the other way around. It has to come from within. Whether there is a Jesus or not is irrelevant; faith is very powerful.

#16     Oct 8, 2018
  7. stu

stu

Indeed, faith is very powerful. Which is basically what I'm saying. Superstition is a natural psychological defense. Faith in a superstition which a person holds to or practices, whether it's Christian superstition or some other, can be extremely useful to some for survival or generally coping in a bad situation.

However, I'd suggest more secular pragmatic down to earth real practical assistance and support, perhaps through groups as you mention, does far more good than just relying on 'superstition-Jesus' alone.

Anyhoow... FSU's 'Jesus loves ME' faith sure looks shaky for protecting that Canes lead

[​IMG]

#17     Oct 8, 2018
    luisHK and ElCubano like this.
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

The dolphins gave it up as well.

#18     Oct 8, 2018

9. If you are prison long enough, some of the churchy men start looking "ok" too.

:cool:

#19     Oct 13, 2018
  10. %%
    One news report said they were outlawing muslim names. God haters do some strange things; Chicoms[Mao orders] killed /anti sparrow /useless eaters campaign seemed like a good idea.Why would an almighty God create a grain eating pest like sparrows??Oops, God was not so dumb after all, the locusts multiplied,[ with no sparrows to eat them] famine killed many millions of Chicoms.

#20     Oct 24, 2018