China building Gigantic buses as it forges ahead.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by MohdSalleh, Aug 4, 2010.

1. trendy

trendy

Can that thing even turn a corner? Also, looks top-heavy to me.

#21     Aug 4, 2010
  2. heech

heech

So what? The United States was similarly corrupt at a comparable point in its economic development. If you can find a poor nation not riddled with corruption... please, do let me know.

As long as those with political power do not have economic wealth, corruption is a foregone conclusion. The United States has reached a point where those with political power also happens to be (largely) the people with the greatest wealth. There's no reason for them to be corrupt, not in the same ways.

#22     Aug 4, 2010
  3. TD80

TD80

What happens when I want to turn left/right at the intersection and this giant hulking thing decides it is going straight?

In Japan they have a saying, that roughly translates to "The nail that sticks out from the board gets hammered".

In China I think the saying is going to roughly translate to "The individual who wants to turn left is going to have to check with the Bus (the horde) first".

It seems individualism is still lost on our Asian comrades.

#23     Aug 4, 2010
  4. I dont know if any of you have been to asian countries, but that image is basically of what that thing would look like in the US. In reality there will be bumper to bumper traffic all over and around that thing, cars WILL bump the side of that train all the time as any of you that have been to an asian country know that a car that is 3 or 4 years old has tons of dents from bumping into other traffic. People in asia also do not stay in their lane of traffic. If there is an opening...people drive there. This thing better be able to withstand some damage without tipping over.

People on motorbikes will likely get knocked down when this thing comes up behind them too.

#24     Aug 4, 2010
  5. They explained a system in the video, where they bus will get a special light signal to turn, but the other cars will have to stop until the bus turns. No difference to waiting for a traffic signal in the west, unless over here you also decide to assert your individualism and run the lights when it is red, in which case you have a high chance of prematurely meeting God.

#25     Aug 4, 2010
  6. The video explains that there are sensors all over, if you get too close to the side of the bus, it will take a picture of your car and call the cops on you.

#26     Aug 4, 2010
  7. TD80

TD80

Gentlemen,

Skynet is upon us!

#27     Aug 4, 2010
  8. dtan1e

dtan1e

u can always pay the cop

#28     Aug 4, 2010
  9. Mayhem

Mayhem

dumb question: How do you enter and exit the bus? Does a big ladder come out when the doors open?

And, why not just build an elevated tram? This concept seems to be a moving elevated tram line... Why make the supports move and straddle traffic lanes when you can just put up one line of thick supports in the median?

[​IMG]

#29     Aug 5, 2010
  10. heech

heech

There are elevated bus stops.

Elevated tram really not an option, as it means you're conflicting with any number of already existing overpass/flyovers. Construction cost increases dramatically.

The point of this system is that it, somewhat similar to BRT systems in South America, Europe, and elsewhere in China... it's extremely inexpensive (and quick) to deploy. You don't need to dig up roadway, nor do you disrupt existing traffic extensively.

#30     Aug 5, 2010