China a Threat?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ShoeshineBoy, Dec 14, 2005.

1. When I worked with a largly native chinese research group the common thread was that every one of these folks highly disliked japan - even though many of them had no direct ties to the victims. This is all a big problem for japan.

#11     Dec 27, 2005
  2. is the Pope catholic?

#12     Dec 27, 2005
  3. thn5625

thn5625

Well, the threat will come from where we least expect it. When all eyes are on China, we will get kicked in the balls by some third world country.

#13     Jan 1, 2006
  4. The only thing that would really scare me is if China bit the bullet and got serious about intellectual property law. Right now all they do is make stuff cheaper and crappier than it is made elsewhere. If they ever gave their domestic firms sufficient incentive to innovate (combined with 300-500K engineers they churn out every year) that would spell trouble for the good ol' USA. Then the brilliant engineers would no longer come here to work in our Universities and R&D labs.

Only thing I don't understand about China. They build a wall that lasts 2000 years but they can't make a pen that lasts more than a week.

#14     Jan 1, 2006
  5. Farside

Farside

Unfortunately, the Chinese are already serious about intellectual property law; of Chinese Companies! They don't innovate enough yet, but the precedent is set. They allow piracy of foreign innovation, but defend Chinese innovation. IMO they are a major economic threat.

#15     Jan 1, 2006
  6. Very foolish statement. Technology exports are running at a rate of $400 billion/year out of China now. Who do you think makes all those monitors, computers, toys, tv's, dvd's, phones, etc, etc?
    And little by little, cars and car parts, and eventually jet parts and complete airplanes for *export* out of China in another 20 years.

#16     Jan 1, 2006
  7. So you are saying that the Chinese courts fairly enforce IP infringement of one local firm v. another local firm? And by fair, I mean without corruption or party/state influence.

#17     Jan 2, 2006
  8. Just joking there buddy. I am well aware of their manufacturing prowess and the influence their exports have in the U.S. and throughout the world.

#18     Jan 2, 2006
  9. thn5625

thn5625

Ok Im going to step in here with the economic view that competition is good. As long as China plays with the rules then I dont mind buying labor intensive products from China if they are cheaper.

I rather focus our limited resources in creating high tech products and innovations. This is our (US) strength as well as agricultural products. Trust me, we have plenty of worldwide customers needing US products. The products are mainly produced by the cheapest manufacturer but other areas that go in making these products are being done and will continue to be done here in the US.

OK did you know that for Pentium processors are manufactured elsewhere? Does that hurt the US? It really doesnt lower the US GDP. In fact it increases it b/c the final product becomes cheaper and cheaper products increase sales and profit margin for Intel which in turn helps the US esp. everyone who works for Intel.

How does it help the US? Well, if the only source of income we have comes from the actual construction of these chips then yes we are not better off. But you have to take note that there is so much more to just making a chip. Theres research, development, testing, programming, advertising, financing, ect... thats a big chunk of the budget and we are not shipping those functions overseas necessarily. Why? b/c we do it better here in the good ol US of A. We always have and we always will.

Well, I hope I made sense.

#19     Jan 2, 2006
  10. Farside

Farside

From what I have read, yes. They are enforcing domestic IP law, but are allowing IP infringement of foreign companies.

I live in NJ, a short distance from Chinatown in Manhattan. There you will find pirated DVDs; fake Rolex, Breitling, Bvulgari watches; fake Gucci, Prada and Chanel handbags, etc. The Chinese make an industry out of counterfeiting, and are not afraid to do it even in the US. It is cultural; I don't think China will ever enforce IP laws for foreign companies.

#20     Jan 2, 2006