Chimp Charts and TradeStation

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by bobcathy1, Feb 5, 2003.

1. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

This morning there were not any really fabulous set ups using Chimp Charts. Not saying that you could not make money. There was a nice short stating at 9:46 that a couple of points could have been picked up.......... I did not take it as I was not sure of it. Oh well, see what the afternoon brings.

#11     Feb 6, 2003
  2. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

This list of "improvements" on the chimp charts was sent to me by one of my friends.

#12     Feb 6, 2003
  3. Wlog

Wlog

I am using chimp now. It is making money, but either I read the system incorrectly or you have made modifications. I do not wait for the 5/15 xover on the 13min chart. If I get a 5/15 xover on the 1min and both the 5ma and 15ma on the 13min chart are trending in the direction of the trade I take it. Guess there might be a 13min crossover, but it has since moved off my screen.

But!! if I do see a crossover on the 13min then the crossover on the 1 min. I will take a larger position.

Thanks for posting this one, it is making a difference in my trading.:)

#13     Feb 6, 2003
  4. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Yes, you are right. It is a good set up. I just missed the ball.
    I need to pay more attention:)

#14     Feb 6, 2003
  5. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

This was a very nice 28 minute trade today.

a. 13 min EMA cross and a pull back into the one minute EMAs.
    b. rode it down to the double dojis and then got out as it was approaching 11:00 EST.

Made 5 points on the trade.
    I tend to trade size and take small bites. On only the highest probabilty trades like this one.

• file.jpg
      File size:
      76.9 KB
      Views:
    #15     Feb 7, 2003
  6. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

I use customized settings on my charts.

Bollinger Bands 13, +- 2.618

Stochastic Slow K=15, Ksmooth=3, D=5

These are set looser than normal to capture the larger moves and filter out possible noise.:)

#16     Feb 9, 2003
  7. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Sometimes it is very important to know when you should change strategies.
    For me, for today I decided the Chimp trades on the one minute were a little too choppy to trade well. I decided to stay out of the action this morning on that strategy.

How ever, if you adjust your postion size smaller and trade the 13 minute time frame with much wider stops. On ES that would be 4-8 points.....it would be quite profitable. I am going to do that until the war goes one way or the other.

(I did neither today as I had an emergency to attend to.)

#17     Feb 10, 2003
  8. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

This is an example of a 13 minute chart
    a) is the entry after the cross
    b) is the exit after a stochastic cross

As you can see, there was not much to be made today.

The EMAs are 5, 15 and the 15 line from the 60 minute chart.

#18     Feb 10, 2003
  9. Wlog

Wlog

That is a very good point, if the setup is not fitting the day, dont try and force it. A different time frame, for a nice gain is a smart play. Thanks for posting it.

#19     Feb 10, 2003
  10. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

You are welcome.:)

I find also if you change markets you can find one that is more strongly trending. It pays to have several sets of charts set up to switch back and forth from.

I use ES, NQ, YM. Some select ETFs would be good to look at too if you are inclined.

Another productive use of time is to sift for some longer term single stock buys. I have several charts open myself in the oil patch, airlines, beer, gold, insurance industries and luxuries today.

#20     Feb 10, 2003