Child Rapist avoids death sentence

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hapaboy, Jun 25, 2008.

Should child rapists be executed?

1. Absolutely.

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. Absolutely not.

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  3. Only in certain cases.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. It's more like, look at what you are dissociating...look at the thoughts in your mind. Then look at the truth and compare what you are thinking to the truth. What is false can't stand for long in the light of the truth. Only when truth and illusions are kept apart in your mind can what is false seem true. This entire world of space/time/form is made by dissociation. So it takes a deliberate intent to bring it to the truth that it can be let go. Christianity is or ought to be a way of looking at the world [thoughts] that you might see beyond it another world entirely, and beyond that, "heaven". Heaven is "within", covered by thoughts that are simply not true, so you can't see or experience it. Heaven is full awareness. Earth is the exprience of narrowed awareness via the concept of individualized mind-space.

Jesus

#51     Jul 2, 2008
  2. In clear-cut cases where there was full penile penetration of a pre-pubescent child (9yo or younger), all such monsters should be put behind bars for the <b>entire rest of their life</b>, IMO. (Extreme? So was the crime!)

#52     Jul 2, 2008
  3. For a feeling of safety, then yes, an execution can (guarantee) the victim that the rapist has no chance of hurting them or anyone. So I see what you are saying how this helps the victim and family. But trauma from the crime still has to be dealt with after the rapist is executed. And yes, it seems the system does not view a child rapist as a threat to society in same was as a terrorist. That does show less priority for children, and more priority for the rights of the rapist.

#53     Jul 2, 2008
  4. And yes, it seems the system does not view a child rapist as a threat to society in same was as a terrorist.

---------------------

Imo. Law is devoid of emotion. Crime is column A, consequence is Column B.

Emotions and effects on lives are reserved for sentencing via victim impact statement. Conclusion and closure. This has changed somewhat (attaching emotions to law) over the years with "naming of laws" ie "Megans Law", etc. I'm not sure if this does anything except make good tv.

Society does not want to spend one red cent rehabilitating a criminal and I don't blame them for feeling this way but oth we just release a person who is no different than before with the same results.

#54     Jul 2, 2008
  5. What happens is sometimes a psychiatric doctor will give testimony after many years of the rapist being in prison, that the rapist is no longer a threat to children. And unlike cancer, or any disease that can be tested with blood test, the rapist can not be tested with absolute certainty that they will not repeat. It is the educated guess of the doctor.

#55     Jul 2, 2008
  6. It is the educated guess of the doctor.
    ----------------------------

With a side of order of hope. Psychiatry = Hippocratic Oath of Hope (just kidding, seems that way though).

#56     Jul 2, 2008
  7. :)

:) Some truth to what you sat

#57     Jul 2, 2008
  8. I'd say that's more true about psychology than psychiatry, but your point is taken. Many of these pedophiles can only be treated by chemical castration, and even that is probably ineffective in some cases.

#58     Jul 2, 2008
  9. Not quite sure why the 9yo threshold, RM.....? The rape of a 10, 11, 12, 13, 14yo isn't heinous?

And, unfortunately, such monsters are not put behind bars for the rest of their lives. Nope, they get released for good behavior, etc., and then many of them go out and do it again, in many cases very soon after their release as in the recent Florida case.

I like Nik's idea of castration. IMO it should be applied to all rapists, be the victims children or not. That combined with life without parole may suffice, but then I think about all the money being wasted on keeping these scumbags fed , clothed, and in good enough shape to watch TV and play hoops.....

#59     Jul 2, 2008
  10. I like Nik's idea of castration. IMO it should be applied to all rapists, be the victims children or not.

----------------------------

Won't work. Although it is a sexual crime it is a crime of power and violence. A guy with zero nuts will still commit sexual crimes.

#60     Jul 2, 2008