Chicken Little- the new guy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ms_9901, May 18, 2004.

1. Um, I think the reason you are getting some flak is because you are at the wrong board. This is a board for people who trade, not investors. Most of us don't hold positions "for the long haul."

In my own case, at the moment I'm holding 3 postions - 2 shorts and a long. In all 3 cases, I don't know the name of the stock I'm playing - only the technicals and the tickers.

Perhaps you would be better off re-phrasing your question to include some recommendations about good investing sites. Best of luck to you.

#11     May 18, 2004
  2. Osman

Osman

I think the sky is fixing to fall. I have looked at charts of the Dow and Nasdaq and S&P 500. I don't think they look good. I am going to cash, I am wondering what you guys and girls think.

You may be right, there are many chartists and Elliot Wave users that believe we have to go down one more time. Main thing is that you have to wait for the confirmation of a major down trend on the charts. If you look at weekly and monthly charts, in many stocks all we're doing is giving back some of the gains from last year. Does that mean the sky is falling? No. If the NDX goes down to 1275 level, its time to worry. Even then, its not 'sky is falling' worry. We're not going through a period of irrational exuberance, corporate profits are up. Economy is moving, jobs will be created. I would say you shorten your time frames and wait till the market makes up its mind on what it wants to do; which is what i'm doing.

The US deficit is a little out of hand, almost overdrawn by about $350.00, but I will send them that. The credit balance in the US is almost ready to fall over.

Its hard to pin trading decisions on the US Debt, many people over the last 3 decades have tried and put forth cases for the debt drowning the economy. most people have been wrong. On a theoretical level its obvious that large governmental debt, large trade deficits and the like are horrible signs for the economy. Yet the US economy keeps chugging along...

I think steel, copper and aluminum have replaced gold and silver as far as precious metals go .

Steel, copper and aluminum have a different function in the market than do precious metals. Inflation, currencies and the like are not tied to steel, copper and aluminum like they are to gold & silver. We are going through a bull run in the commodities and all bull runs have bears waiting in the wings.

The oil and gas companys here just reported record profits.

Take this how you will but where are the new oilfields? Why was exxon in scandal about its projected oil exploration? Will the US use its strategic reserve? these are some of the dark linings in the silver cloud.

Next Qestion, What do you believe are the top ten stocks to buy for long range investment.

Who knows i can't tell what will happen tomarrow.

#12     May 19, 2004
  3. ms_9901

ms_9901

for answering my question. If I was on the wrong board, I apoligize. As far as Silver goes, it is used in more applications than one would believe. I think it is used in more commercial and industrial items, than as in coins and jewelry.

#13     May 19, 2004
  4. Osman

Osman

You are right. silver has many many uses. but in terms of trading, it is not veiwed as such. the main institutions and players that trade silver look at silver differently from copper and others.

#14     May 20, 2004
  5. ms_9901

ms_9901

Osman I agree. That is my point. I think traders and futures players tend to shy away from silver or gold. Like they really are not worth anything anymore. You don't hear much about the precious metals on this board or in the periodicals. Watch the volume in CDE. It amazes me, although I am easily amazed. Sometimes in life, it is not what happens, it's what does not happen.

#15     May 20, 2004
  6. LiL"C"

LiL"C"

This was funny you did a good job screwing with these people

#16     May 20, 2004
  7. you can't lose.
    every dollar you put in a property will turn into 3.

#17     May 21, 2004
  8. ms_9901

ms_9901

I guess you were not in Houston, Texas in 1986. You could pick up a nice $250,000.00 house for about $125,000.00. At the same time some companies would run employment ads and 4,000 people would show up. But I get your meaning and thanks for the reply. I think the housing market is becoming a little overbought.

#18     May 21, 2004
  9. 20-50 cents on a dollar, lend your money to people who can only borrow money backed by RE. I know you can lose too but I am CA and I rather be elswhere where there is a little more distress in prices.

#19     May 21, 2004