Chicagoans: help please...

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by TraDaToR, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Occam

Occam

Hi TraDaToR,

I have enjoyed reading your posts over the past few months, especially given your local perspective on European issues. Interesting that you are going to get to spend some time in the US now!

I am not from Chicago, but have spent quite a bit of time there. I would suggest craigslist, as the above posters have, and specifically perhaps the neighborhoods of Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville, which are close to downtown and have excellent transportation as well as a lot of other people around your age.

Subletting from a college student is also an excellent idea; there may be some houses around that are rented entirely by foreign students in which you can get a room for a very good price, if you don't mind housemates, which I would actually consider an advantage in a new city. Again, craigslist is a good resource, as well as school-specific sites (not sure which ones would be good for this -- maybe Northwestern, which is right on the lake and on a major train line into town?).

I hope your trip goes well for you!

#11     Jun 3, 2010
  2. I didn't check the prices of that corporate short term rental place i posted a link too. I agree WAY overpriced. Wriglyville/lincoln park area will be a great bet for a guy your age. Craigslist should help you find a summer rental. Both the bus and train are very good for these locations, just double check how far you are from a stop.

When i moved to Chicago years ago I stayed at this hostel until I found an apt. Only took me about a week to find a place.

http://www.getawayhostel.com/about

#12     Jun 3, 2010
  3. elomich

elomich

Check out Roscoe Village and Lincoln Square as well.

#13     Jun 3, 2010
  4. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Thanks Occam, you must be talking about my local perspective on the daily hottie thread...:p I can't recall other constructive posts of mine.

Everybody is recommending quite the same area and some dropped me names/websites, so I had a good idea asking on ET:)

#14     Jun 4, 2010
  5. I am not a fan of Chicago, but I have lived there for some time. It's an easy place to live, but it's also a place where I pretty much never wanted to go out, and never wanted to be bothered. While I'm sure there are interesting people who live in Chicago, the signal to noise ratio is so abysmal that you may get more value (in terms of a time-perspective) with a hobby like bird-watching, or internet-chess.

I lived in a fancy area and I am one of the ones that overpaid for rent, but if you are thinking of paying higher rents, I'd warn you against it. The value is simply not there. There's "lots to do", but nothing that really sets Chicago apart from any other city. I don't think there is any uniqueness in Chicago, and I'm not all that convinced the general public is all that intelligent. I'd go ahead and live at the end of a Metra train line, and maybe buy an IPad to keep you entertained for train rides.

My advice is to live on the outskirts of town, save some money, and take the train. Live where there's lots of grass, parks, trees, and adequate space away from neighbors. Chicago isn't like NYC, and people will talk to you on the elevators. However, the sorts of things they'll talk to you about are not the sorts of things any non brain-damaged person would be interested in hearing. (For example: Cubs vs. White-Sox. This is some kind of sick debate that never dies, and yet there are always snide remarks happening about it all over town.) If you want to make friends, be sure to memorize as many useless Chicago sports facts as possible.

And if you're single, I have more bad news. The typical woman you will meet has a hoarse voice, terrible skin, and an awful mid-west accent. Chatting with them is like chatting with donkeys who were not suitable for children's zoos. It's all lipstick on pigs and is truly horrifying. You will get no value talking to women, unless they moved here from somewhere else and went to school somewhere else. Somehow, I don't find the locals very personable, and I cringed when I had to talk to them. It's like they are zombies.

Again, just move as far out as possible and as remote as possible and strive for peace. You will then be able to disconnect yourself from the city and be able to trade successfully.

#15     Jun 29, 2010
  6. +1

just make sure you don't get scammed. it happens with craigslist.

#16     Jun 29, 2010
  7. rosy2

rosy2

#17     Jun 29, 2010
  8. if you are moving to chicago- a very fun area to live is in the 2-3 blocks north or west of wrigley field. fun cubs atmosphere in the summer- near bars if you want to go out- yet still tree-lined streets. w/nearby access to the public transport if you do that, and most places come with a parking spot so cubs parking wouldn't be an issue.

just my two cents

dm

#18     Jun 29, 2010
  9. #19     Jun 29, 2010
  10. you may want to rent downtown. The CBOT is located on the southeast part of the "Loop" downtown Chicago. Public transportation is excellent in Chi town. Like any big city its what you make out of it. I am not sure about short term housing. Use google maps and you will get a pretty good idea of where everything is. It is a great city with lots to offer. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl5j2jd5H4k

#20     Jun 29, 2010