Chicago Trib. Ed. To Obama: Don't Run In 2012

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Sep 19, 2011.

1. pspr

pspr

It's all over for Obama when his home town newspaper calls for him not to run in 2012.

I checked the Constitution, and he is under no compulsion to run for re-election. He can scrap the campaign, bag the fundraising calls and never watch another Republican debate as long as he’s willing to vacate the premises by Jan. 20, 2013.

That might be the sensible thing to do. It’s hard for a president to win a second term when unemployment is painfully high. If the economy were in full rebound mode, Obama might win anyway. But it isn’t, and it may fall into a second recession — in which case voters will decide his middle name is Hoover, not Hussein. Why not leave of his own volition instead of waiting to get the ax?

It’s not as though there is much enticement to stick around. Presidents who win re-election have generally found, wrote John Fortier and Norman Ornstein in their 2007 book, “Second-Term Blues,” that “their second terms did not measure up to their first.”

The ideal candidate would be a figure of stature and ability who can’t be blamed for the economy. That person should not be a member of Congress, since it has an even lower approval rating than the president’s.

It would also help to be conspicuously associated with prosperity. Given Obama’s reputation for being too quick to compromise, a reputation for toughness would be an asset.

As it happens, there is someone at hand who fits this description: Hillary Clinton. Her husband presided over a boom, she’s been busy deposing dictators instead of destroying jobs, and she’s never been accused of being a pushover.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/09/...ybe-its-time-for-obama-to-withdraw-from-2012/

2. Anyone remember what Hillary said? Something to the effect "there isn't enough money to do all the things I want to do?"

By the time Obama leaves office we are going to be tapped out.

I'm sure being President won't be fun if they can't do something for us. <sarcasm>.

C'mon, we all got health care, new roads, teachers are back to work, corp jets have all been taxed. What more could anyone need?

3. Lucrum

Lucrum

Wow, that's a rather scathing rebuke.

4. I've been seeing the Clinton's in the news frequently. Maybe Hillary is thinking it's time to "MOVEON".

We'll see. Obama does not seem to get the message which is the economy needs fixing and the old Keynesian ways are not it especially when you throw in a tax de jour on the rich.

Seneca

5. pspr

pspr

If Hillary got into the White House the first thing she would do is scrap ObamaCare and put in HillaryCare. :D

6. Most dems would love to replace Obama with Hilary.We would really love a Bernie Sanders or Howard Dean but it wont happen

7. I dread that. If that happens just think how many debates there will be on P&R over which is worse

:)

8. pspr

pspr

Yeah. I think she would push for "single payer" under the guize of making ObamaCare more efficient. I don't see Obama's ego allowing him to do anything but run in 2012 no matter how bad the economy gets. Only if he got himself impeached would Hillary have a chance.

9. jem

jem

would single payer be any worse than the obamination the dems passed on behalf of the insurance lobby called obamacare.

If they passed single payer... and then we could get rid of campaign bribery and lobbying corruption .. we could have a reasonable chance americans might get some value out of the spending.

10. pspr

pspr

Read a little bit about how that's working out for Brittan.

#10     Sep 19, 2011