Chicago Prop Trading Firms

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Vegas22, Aug 1, 2004.

1. RefcoTrading

RefcoTrading Guest

Contact Tom Gould at tgould@refco.com. He is head of training at the chicago office.

#11     Nov 11, 2004
  2. was it always like this , or did the prop firms decide to go to a DESK FEE per
    trader per month in recent yrs?

#12     Nov 11, 2004
  3. RefcoTrading

RefcoTrading Guest

Desk fees can range anywhere from 2-6000. Ever since I have been trading ('98) there have always been desk fees. To have the best IT, you have to pay for it. You CAN connect over the internet, use sub par quote systems and execution software, and probably be paying 100 bucks or so. However, it puts you at an extreme disavantage to the real players who have basically unlimited IT budgets.

#13     Nov 11, 2004
  4. do prop futures firms offer traders
    compared to retail customers doing
    screen trading , due to their arcade or prop firm status ?

#14     Nov 12, 2004
  5. Most prop firms now will charge a desk fee which includes the cost of the equipment you will use, phone charges, IT staff, software, squawk, news services, charting, accounting, etc. The desk fee covers the fixed overhead charges of the firm. I have interviewed with firms that gouge their traders on this because there isn't much money in commissions in futures trading. However, most will have you trade as exchange fees, clearing fees and no commissions. That means you trade at cost in return for a cut of your profits. It has been a year since I shopped, but that's how it goes.

#15     Nov 12, 2004
  6. ConfusedSr

ConfusedSr Guest

Do any of you have any information as to these two companies. I have offers from both and am trying to figure out what I should be doing next year.

Both seem very interesting but I would love to hear an unbiased opinion from anyone.

There are many fundamental differences between the two companies, but does anyone know alot about the work atmosphere or reputation?

#16     Nov 30, 2004
  7. did you ask what they focus on??? i hear jump used to focus mainly on the eminis....tough game these days. maybe they have changed. are you asking them....or their traders what type of trading or which products they trade?

#17     Nov 30, 2004
  8. jim c

jim c

Chicago trading is not a prop shop or arcade. They are a Market Making firm. This thread is more about prop shops. I am VERY familar with CTC but I know little about Jump trading. I am biased when it comes to CTC but I can tell you if you have an offer with them I would jump all over it. Ask around at the CBOE about CTC and see what people have to say. Do the same with Jump trading. Im not for sure if Jump is group of MM or a prop shop but you should definatly find out. Bonus time can be a Fun time at CTC...or so Ive heard. CTC is a real bitch to get a job with so if you got an offer you should think alot about it. good luck jim

#18     Nov 30, 2004
  9. if you really want to learn then ctc is the way to go...

run..... don't walk to your ctc interview

if you are still reading this then get going

#19     Nov 30, 2004
  10. so does anyone know exactly what the guys at CTC do??? i know a few firms mentioned on this board are hurting bad....although you wouldn't know it by some of the post here on ET.

#20     Nov 30, 2004