Chicago Prop Newbie

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by ChicagoIndiana, Dec 9, 2003.

1. I'm interested in finding info about Prop trading in the Chicago or East Chicago area.

I've dabbled in stocks and futures for over 5 years, and have always dreamed of trading for a living. However, I'm married with kids and our lifestyle requires an income of over 50k per year from my current j o b (which I hate).

I went and got my Series 3 and 30 thinking I'd like to get into the sales aspect, but that idea has fizzled.

What kind of income or % return can a good trader expect withing the first 2 years? (If you are currently a Prop trader, what have you experienced)

This is my first post here, and I'm not certain what responses I'll get, I guess leads would be good.

Feel free to pm me.

Thank You.

2. "What kind of income or % return can a good trader expect withing the first 2 years? (If you are currently a Prop trader, what have you experienced)"

no one can tell you how much you will make it ranges from lose to make a little to make a lot.
    this question has been asked dozens of time on this site. i will say again what i always say. don't give up your job if you have a family to support. there are many ways to trade that don't require you to quit your job. when or if you get profitable to the point that you make more trading than working for at least a year then consider quitting your job.

3. rtrading

rtrading

well said....

I couldn't agree more.

I know all the prop. groups in Chicago, and no one will pay a salary, let alone a draw of anywhere near 50k. You might want to look into groups that require you to work as a clerk for a year or 2 and get paid 30k and eventually get to trade minis or equities. Bottom line, save up money first and make sure you are at least making money on the simulator.

If you don't mind missing sleep you could look at overseas markets overnight i.e. (eurex, liffe, etc.)

hope this helps