Chicago prop...need point in the right direction

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by fat tail, Sep 5, 2008.

1. fat tail

fat tail

Long time lurker looking for some input.
    I am early 30s, assistant PM on a L/S ETF strategy. Sparing the drama, we took some serious blows (AUM) being part of the bank that went through the most trouble this year, hence putting the feelers out...you know when you're becoming overhead.
    Is there a good avenue into prop trading at this stage in my career? Have other mid-career finance professionals just saved up 6-12 mos. of living expenses and took the plunge?

I am coming to view prop trading as that pinnacle holy grail occupation. The current strategy our group runs is top down, global macro and I have come to view the world, and trades, from that lens. Are there shops that impart that view on new traders?

Lastly, I am very analytical, but not a quant whiz...I think there's a big difference. How much is that going to hold me back?

Thanks for any insights.

2. Exactly. I would say you are the perfect age at 30. Not to old to have a heart attack from the stress and mature enough to know when you are wrong. Prop will hire you but you have to write your resume in a way that highlights what you can do for them, rather than what they can do for you. Of course, there are prop shops out there who aren't registered with exchanges but you have to bring coin to the table and you stand a high risk of having other traders lose it. Don't trade with a prop shop that doesn't require a license and who isn't a member of an exchange.
    Good luck!