Chicago ET Home

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by saxon, Mar 12, 2004.

1. cwjcntr

cwjcntr

Interesting.. I missed the original conversation about this a while back, but it would make a great topic of discussion at the next 'General ET meeting'. I'll preorder it now, could glean some ideas on pairs trading with bonds, etc..

thx, and welcome back home dude :D

#21     Mar 21, 2004
  2. saxon

saxon

Hey hey,

If anybody has anymore suggestions for a home bar, put 'em up. Here is the list so far:

Cavanaugh's
    Martini Bar
    Greek Islands
    Venice Cafe
    Cactus
    Rivers
    Bergoff Bar
    Poag Mahone's
    Jake Melnick's
    Celtic Crossings

I'm going to PM everyone during the 1st week of April and ask for a vote. I'll post the results a week later, and hopefully we can get together about a week after that (Friday, April 16 @ 5:00pm). Then I will fade happily into the background, and the regular Chicago ET Club end-of-trading-week beer gulps will either sink or swim depending on everyone's interest.

Here's the list of voting members so far. If I have missed anyone, just post a reply to this thread, or PM me:

demonet
    Fast_Trader
    canyonman00
    cwjcntr
    ChrisRT
    okwon
    BruceLin
    nate-chicago
    saxon
    Hydrogen
    WDGann
    Sioux
    kbehr
    JoeTitzer
    resinate
    iceman1
    Wolf
    gman997
    nkhoi
    Pro_Trader720

Good trading, and have a Happy Easter!

saxon

#22     Mar 23, 2004
  3. tomorrow afternoon? End of month/quarter... time to take stock of ones trading performance.

Cheers, Joe T.

#23     Mar 30, 2004
  4. cwjcntr

cwjcntr

Unfortunately, I won't be getting anywhere fast until Friday... welcome back btw :D

#24     Mar 31, 2004
  5. saxon

saxon

OK…time to choose a home for the Chicago ET Club!

I will PM everybody with the list of nominations. Please pick 3 spots from the list. I will post to this thread the place that got the most votes on Friday, April 9; and I hope we can get together for the first time at 5:00pm on the following Friday, April 16. That will then be a standing date for anyone looking to enjoy a cold one with some friends at the end of each week. Summer's coming…surf's up…time to live a little!

For your convenience, here is a brief description of each place. A more in-depth review can be found on http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/ or by doing a web search with the "bar name" and "Chicago".

Cavanaugh's (53 W. Jackson Blvd.)

When you walk into Cavanaugh's, you will think you walked onto the set of "Cheers." Located on the west side of the Monadnock Building, the bar has an alley entrance marked by green and white awnings. "I'm probably the only person foolish enough to open a restaurant in an alley," jokes owner Kurt Wiese, who knows full well that everybody likes to "discover" tucked-away places like his popular establishment. The warm, wood-paneled bar with ceiling fans, brass fixtures and green leather bar and stools serves a wide variety of beers as well as sandwiches and salads to a mostly business crowd.

Martini Bar (401 S. LaSalle)

In addition to outstanding martinis, only the finest in beers, wines, and spirits are served in this modern take on a 1940s-style cocktail lounge. A favorite spot for the after-work crowd.

Greek Islands (200 S. Halsted St.)

This popular, established restaurant inspired a suburban counterpart in Lombard. The menu features fresh seafood, lamb and chicken; a cooler displays what's available that day. Half-orders and combination entrees are available. The open kitchen allows customers to watch the chefs and choose what they would like to eat. With about 400 seats, this is the biggest restaurant in Greektown, with several dining rooms.

Venice Cafe (250 S. Wacker Dr.)

Venice Cafe is situated on the east bank of the Chicago River right across the street from the Sears Tower. The bar is hopping after work, when the TV is on and folks from the Mercantile Exchange come in to wind down after a long day. The restaurant specializes in "quick, healthy, well-portioned meals" of homestyle Italian cooking.

Cactus (404 S. Wells St.)

Located in the Financial District, this big, airy bar is your typical dive for frat boys, current and former. Traders and other worker bees stop in for lunch (the menu offers salads, burgers and "Death Valley" chicken wings) or after work. There are several TVs at the bar.

Rivers 30 S. Wacker Dr.

A rich mahogany wood interior, spacious bar and elegant Italian marble floors give this restaurant a sleek, contemporary appeal. Its seasonal outdoor deck overlooking the Chicago River offers diners one of the best outdoor views of the city's bridges and skyscrapers. It's in a hustling, bustling part of downtown but makes a nice retreat from it.

Berghoff (17 W. Adams St.)

Chicago's oldest restaurant serves its own beer, root beer and bourbon and holds Chicago's first post-Prohibition liquor license. It also maintains a bakery and butchery. Menu favorites include wiener schnitzel and sauerbraten, though lighter fare (salads, grilled seafood), added in recent years, provides an alternative to traditional German specialties.

Poag Mahone's (175 W. Jackson Ave.)

The interior aims for a classic Irish pub feel and includes a turn-of-the-century bar trucked in from out of state. The menu features meat, meat and more meat, including prime rib, burgers and steaks.

Jake Melnick's (41 E. Superior St.)

The former Blackhawk Lodge has been reconcepted as a casual neighborhood pub specializing in burgers, salads and homestyle specials such as barbecued ribs and chicken. Desserts include apple pie, banana cream pie and a chocolate chip cookie skillet sundae.

Celtic Crossings (751 N. Clark St.)

This popular River North pub is as Irish as its three owners - John Phelan, John O'Reardon and Kevin Hibbits - who hail from the Emerald Isle. A good crowd comes to listen and sometimes dance to Irish bands on Saturday, but mainly people just socialize. "Most of the bars back home are just drinkin' bars," Hibbitts says. "You have a chat and you're out the door."

#25     Apr 2, 2004
  6. Transact Futures

Transact Futures Transact Futures

Will you put me on your list.

Thanks

#26     Apr 2, 2004
  7. Transact Futures

#27     Apr 2, 2004
  8. saxon

saxon

Sure thing. Check your PM box for a ballot.

#28     Apr 2, 2004
  9. cwjcntr

cwjcntr

i just cast my vote!!!

good day in bonds if ye were short...

...it took me about 2 mins to type just this LOL.. Side note: they make the drinks STRONG at Ceres... :D

#29     Apr 2, 2004
  10. Transact Futures

Thanks

#30     Apr 2, 2004