Chicago Bears, Chicago Bulls (references to market sentiment?)

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by monty21, Jun 5, 2009.

1. I love sports, especially basketball.

Chicago is the #1 American city. NYC (I live 15 miles outside NYC) is a immigrant, global city. I consider Chicago the heart of America... it's the midwest and people are much more simple and laid back.

One night I began thinking... is it just coincidence that Chicago sport franchises were the Bulls and the Bears. Also, don't forget the Cubs.:p

The bulls got their name in 1946
    The bears got their name in 1922
    The cubs got their name in 1902

I found this link to historical bull/bear markets but am very curious to know if the teams got their names based on market conditions. Wouldn't that be wonderful market sentiment. Jesse Livermore would've supported the Bears title.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/99902-historical-bull-and-bear-markets-for-the-dow-1900-present

Bulls won 6 championships
    Bears won 1 superbowl (9 total championships)
    Cubs won 2 Major league titles

2. Wow... this thread is getting no love... still no responses.

3. C99

C99

I've wondered the same, so your post prompted some research:

Origin of the Bears name:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Chicago_Bears

First years in Chicago
    The Staley's moved to Chicago from Decatur, IL in 1921. Halas, who was given the team and $5000 by Staley to keep the name Staleys for another year, made the move. In the 1921 season, the Chicago Staleys finished first in the league and captured their first league championship.

In 1922, Halas changed the team name to the Bears to reflect baseball's Chicago Cubs, the team's host at Wrigley Field. Over the next few years, the Bears were ranked among the elite teams in the NFL, but could never capture an NFL Championship because the league did not have a playoff system.

Origin of the Bulls name:
    http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/behind_the_name.html

Why Bulls? The Chicago Bulls Encyclopedia has the explanation:

The name denoted strength and power, and it tied in to the city’s meatpacking tradition and the Chicago Amphitheater’s (first home court of the Bulls) proximity to the famed Chicago Stockyards. The one-syllable directness of the Bulls was also in line with Chicago’s other team nicknames—Bears, (White) Sox, Cubs, and (Black) Hawks.

“We were the meat capital of the world,” said Klein at the time. “At first, I was thinking of names like Matadors (funny how that worked out given today’s Matadors) or Toreadors, but if you think about it, no team with as many as three syllables in its nickname has ever had much success except for the Canadians. I was sitting around the house, kicking these names around with my wife and three sons, when my little son Mark said, ‘Dad, that’s a bunch of bull!’ I said, ‘That’s it! We’ll call them the Bulls!’ And that’s how the team got its nickname.”

4. Cant believe I never noticed that. Good stuff. Whether on purpose or not.

5. Thanks C99...

I read the Wiki links too...

Could just be a bizarre coincidence

6. [​IMG]

[​IMG]