Chicago Academics

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by jasonbraswell, Jun 22, 2006.

1. comp sci or financial engineering?

what was your major in undergraduate?

#11     Jul 20, 2006
  2. Gonna do comp sci.

I was a math and philosophy undergrad, with some grad work in both.

#12     Jul 20, 2006
  3. yeah the reason I asked was about the prereqs.

I know with a business degree(what I've got), you need to pick up physics to do comp sci graduate.

#13     Jul 20, 2006
  4. segv

segv

I have investigated this myself quite thoroughly, and I have heard nothing but good things about IIT. I plan on attending the IIT distance program next year.

-segv

#14     Jul 20, 2006
  5. Anybody going to school in Chi. this fall?

#15     Aug 4, 2006
  6. rosy

rosy

the U of C program in computer science seems like vocational training (at least the MS does). other than the school name is it worth it?

#16     Aug 4, 2006
  7. If you look real closely at the not-so-fine print it's called the Computer Science Professional Program, so I'd have to say it is not a masters in computer science that one would use as a stepping stone to a PhD.

Hey, money is tight in academia and schools are looking for ways to extend their brand. It has been going on for a while.

#17     Aug 5, 2006
  8. No, if you poke around the U of C website, it says the degree granted is a full Master's.

#18     Aug 5, 2006
  9. roscko

roscko

I've been going through the typical research lately. I presently work as a derivatives trader and really want to make the next step to a top tier bank or hedge fund in a couple of years (im 25).

I also realized that becoming a better trader is not necessarily by going back to school, but it can definitely increase your chance of success. I am having a hard time deciding what degree to pursue, debating between CFA, IIT, MBA or combo...

I would really appreciate any advice or comments..

Cheers

#19     Aug 5, 2006
  10. I'm in a similar situation, and I'm about your age.

My opinion is that you should go back for a technical degree, computer science or financial engineering. I'm done with the CFA program (if the results I get at the end of this month are positive), and while I learned a lot in the program, I don't think it was the most efficient way to improve my practical skill set. Now, I'm looking to go back and take my own advice.

In my humble opinion, I'd say descending order of preference is technical degree, then CFA, then MBA.

#20     Aug 5, 2006