Chevy volt production is stopped.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Mar 2, 2012.

1. #11     Mar 2, 2012
  2. everybody hates the dems until they have a problem after all your not legally required to cash a SS check or use medicare. they subsidize a project like this if hopes it benefits us 20 years from now so no sense to look at the cost today.

#12     Mar 2, 2012
  3. Eight

Eight

We're legally required to pay into that s%^t though...

#13     Mar 3, 2012
  4. clacy

clacy

LOL.... you point to SS, which has recently become insolvent, long-term as your great example. And by the way, I am legally required to pay payroll tax on myself and my employees, so who in the hell would be stupid enough to pay in and not receive their SS benefits?

We have $15 TRILLION in debt, I don't think we need to be bankrolling crappy cars that can't stand in the market place on their own.

When it becomes economically viable and desirable, the private sector will figure out electric cars, but the US government cannot afford to subsidize GM until that point is reached.

#14     Mar 3, 2012
  5. ajcrshr

ajcrshr

GM had their chance with the EV1 fifteen years ago. I think it may have been more technologically advanced than the volt. Failure is the best market regulator.

#15     Mar 3, 2012
  6. that's kind of like saying hey everybody was looting officer so i did too. you have freewill so protest not taking it in hopes of your same minded friends doing the same. i am not defending anything this is just an open minded observation on what you can personally do to save the country money. they won't arrest you i promise.

also its not stupid if you don't take it could be ethical even. do you take anything that is free?

#16     Mar 3, 2012
  7. The EV1 was and is the benchmark. Think how the performance of that vehicle would be today with lithium batteries! I have followed threads of university prof's that have resurrected one of the few EV1's that was not crushed. The engineering in all the sub systems of that vehicle were like they came from a UFO... simply amazing.

#17     Mar 3, 2012
  8. TrueCar says the target price for a Malibu LS is $19,667. The Camry L is $21,501. That's a 10% difference in price. Plus the Malibu has a 40,000 mile longer powertrain warranty. That should be enough for you to "motivate" you. I have nothing against Toyota. Pretty much every car made these days is pretty good.

I remember a few months ago a couple came in to look at a Malibu. I showed it to them and then they said they were going to look at a Camry. I said the Camry was a good car and I'm sure they would be happy with it and then gave them a few reasons why I thought the Malibu was better. The next day they came back and bought the Malibu. They told me that the deciding factor was when they asked the Toyota salesman why they should buy a Camry over a Malibu. He told them, "well, because it's a Toyota."

If you really want to compare good cars, look at the Sonata.

#18     Mar 3, 2012
  9. clacy

clacy

You're not very bright if you equate taking a SS benefit that I've paid into and legally entitled to receive, and looting because everyone else is doing it.

There is no free will on the front end of SS. Either pay in, or go to jail.

I have no ethical dilemma in claiming benefits that I'm entitled to regardless if I believe that the government should be involved in the retirement business or not.

#19     Mar 3, 2012
  10. Except it is.
    The gas engine can assist it at high speeds while in extended range mode. If the car is in extended range mode, who cares? It's burning gas anyways. While in gas free electric mode (the first 25-40 miles), it uses no gas.
    Wikipedia defines a hybrid vehicle as "a vehicle that uses two or more distinct power sources to move the vehicle." The Volt uses one distinct power source (the battery), therefore I wouldn't label it as a hybrid.
    The range is 25-40 miles, depending on conditions and driving styles, and it covers my commute just fine. And I'm not a government bureaucrat. By the way, nobody lives in Georgetown and certainly nobody is dumb enough to commute to K Street. It's a nightmare down there. At least get your facts straight.
    Please point out the minor accident that involved a fire. There have been no real life accidents involving a fire. Google "New Jersey Turnpike Volt".

If you want to critisize the company, critisize the company. If you want to critisize the vehicle, critisize the vehicle. Nobody is saying the Silverado is a bad vehicle because GM took a bailout. Blaming unions is so ten years ago.
    The factory where the Volt is produced, makes other GM vehicles as well. They'll probably be ok, even if the Volt is eliminated.

#20     Mar 4, 2012