Chess

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Kibitzer

Kibitzer

The WC match ended in a 6-6 tie. *sigh*

Now comes the rapid/blitz tiebreak. Just like in the Anand-Gelfand match, I feel there's something wrong with what is essentially a classical (time control) world championship match being decided by rapid chess, much less by blitz, if necessary.

I would rather they first play two game block tie-breaks or maybe just sudden death, with the first person winning a game declared the winner (even though someone would have an advantage as white at the start). If after another 6 or 12 games it's still undecided, then maybe rapid/blitz or some other tiebreak system.

#421     Nov 29, 2016
  2. vanzandt

vanzandt

Stupid quick question....
    Would it not be a good strategy to castle the king and then move it into the corner as that minimizes the number of directions it could be attacked? It seems like putting the king in a corner should be a top priority early on. It also eliminates one bishop from a potential check.

#422     Jan 24, 2017
  3. dealmaker

dealmaker

Castling is a good defensive idea but if you castle to early than you allow your opponent to concentrate their forces on one spot and overwhelm you...

#423     Jan 24, 2017
  4. vanzandt

vanzandt

True. But if the king is in the corner... its eliminated 2 directions from which it can be attacked right? Easier to defend. And you take one of those damn bishops out of the equation.

#424     Jan 24, 2017
  5. dealmaker

dealmaker

If castled too early you especially become vulnerable to bishops. I am all for castling but at the right time, not just any time.

#425     Jan 24, 2017
  6. vanzandt

vanzandt

If he's in one corner... its "bishop", not "bishops".
    We'll see. I have a new tough adversary and I was going over strategies.
    I just think a corner is a safe place to be from the standpoint of defending. The downside is you also restrict yourself to three moves to get out.
    More to follow. Wish Nitro was around still.

#426     Jan 24, 2017
  7. vanzandt

vanzandt

See thats the whole idea. If you take out one of his bishops early on, and then you go to that corresponding corner (black or white) it seems like the odds would statistically shift immensley.
    I'm lookin' ... more than likely its a stupid play. ;)

#427     Jan 24, 2017
    dealmaker likes this.
  8. Xela

Xela

This is true ... what's happened to Nitro?

#428     Jan 25, 2017
  9. dealmaker

dealmaker

#429     Jan 29, 2017
  10. 777

Nice the way you smoothly weaved pictures into your post.

#430     Sep 5, 2017