Chess

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Dec 19, 2009.

1. nitro

nitro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess960

Yeah, it will eventually get back to the same problem, but it would take a long time. Hundreds of years of opening theory would be non-consequential.

"Inexperienced" meaning a weakish Grandmaster, say with a rating of FIDE 2550. The odds of a player of that caliber beating a world class grandmaster in the FIDE 2750+ range is relatively small. His expected score is something like 2.5 in 10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

#11     Jan 1, 2010
  2. nitro

nitro

#12     Jan 5, 2010
  3. #13     Jan 5, 2010
  4. nitro

nitro

Agreed. If/When you have a kid, remember what you just said. Give them the chance they deserve to find that creative outlet. Without his parents, he would almost certainly never gotten anywhere near as far. He is probably aware the "debt" of gratitude he owes them.

This goes in the "What good is money" thread - to give your kids the best chance to find their true calling. Although, notice that the Carlsen family is middle class. It is simply the way some parents view their children.

#14     Jan 5, 2010
  5. The problem is that there are a lot of distraction during the time when a kid is growing up. I would hate to see that my kid's (if I have one) discovered that his/her true passion is playing computer games. But then again, in nature as in our society, games are essentially simulations to prepare us for the future world that we don't see at the present moment.

#15     Jan 5, 2010
  6. nitro

nitro

I think that is a cop out, no offense meant. Most parents put their kids in front a television to "get rid of them" so they may have some peace and downtime to themselves. If instead you use that time to play board games, or even computer games with them, or perhaps play the piano, or whatever, they may develop a taste for the very thing you are participating with them. But that takes effort...

BTW, sometimes your kids aren't interested even if you show them, even if you put in the effort. I tried to show my daughter how interesting chess is, but she has zero interest. She is very physical and prefers soccer, basketball, gymnastics, ice skating, etc..I "never" miss one of her games.

#16     Jan 5, 2010
  7. Well, I think parents really have little direct influence over kid's interests--especially when they older. However I think the environment, to some extent, has a direct influence.

If your daughter is exposed to an environment/community/friends where chess is their main interest, then I think the chance of your daughter getting interested in playing chess would be a lot higher.

If I have a child, I would definitely take a very active role in selecting his/her friends and the way he/she dress to ensure whatever passion they discovered would, to my knowledge (speculation), benefit them the most.

#17     Jan 5, 2010
  8. nitro

nitro

Well said.

#18     Jan 6, 2010
  9. nitro

nitro

Portrait of an artist as a young man:

[​IMG]

#19     Jan 6, 2010
  10. Daal

Daal

I feel sorry for these 'prodigy' kids, specially the ones slaved by their parents. Read 'Open' by Andre Agassi and you will see what I'm saying

#20     Jan 7, 2010